Author Topic: Nutramigen milk, poss MPI and reflux AND meds questions!!!  (Read 2723 times)

Offline katylou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Nutramigen milk, poss MPI and reflux AND meds questions!!!
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:24:57 am »
Help!

Hi I am new here, I have a nearly 4 year old DD Molly and an 8 week old baby Olivia. My friend Kelly recommended this site and I loved the Baby Whisperer book and EASY routine for my eldest DD.

Molly was a breeze but Livi is giving us a run for our money....she has always been a very sicky baby and is slow at putting on weight (8lbs 11.5oz at 7 weeks) we tried Gaviscon, zantac, different formulas etc but nothing worked so we were referred to hospital where the consultant prescribed Nutramigen formula and Domperidone and Omeprazole (Losec Mups)

We have been giving her this since Thursday, she hates the taste of the milk and i'm struggling to get more than about 2-3 oz down her at once. Does anyone have any experience of how long it might take her to get used to this? Also I have heard that it takes the body a while to get rid of the lactose or whatever it is there are intolerant to?

The domperidone seems to be making her extra sleepy too, she is on 1.2ml 6 times a day and often falls asleep halfway through a bottle and cannot be woken! Feeding one bottle of 4oz can often take a good couple of hours of bottle, burp, dozing off, waking, bottle, burp, the cycle goes on!

She is still being sick\spitting up a bit, its quite watery too but nothing like the thick mucously stuff she used to vomit all day long so there is an improvement there.

My one saving grace is that she sleeps brilliantly, we swaddle her using the miracle blanket at night and she will go a solid 7 or so hours, it seems strange that reflux doesnt bother her in that way yet she is fussy and wants to be held all evening.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received, I just want to enjoy my baby and not be constantly on edge about her feeding and being sick.

Katy x

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: Nutramigen milk, poss MPI and reflux AND meds questions!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:54 am »
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, but hoping things will improve soon.

With your DD being quite young, I wouldn't think it would be long before she will take to the Nutramigen.  2 - 3 ounces doesn't sound too bad for a 7 week old baby, IMO.  I think my DS was only on about 4 ounces per feed at that age. I know on the Nutramigen website they say that studies done show that babies younger than 6 months don't take TOO long to get used to the taste, I can't remember the details but may be worth a look on their site for you.

We introduced Nutramigen at about 20 weeks, and it took about 6 weeks before DS would take a full bottle of it without any problems. 

You may also find that when she is drinking the Nutramigen happily and her milk allergy is under control that the reflux goes away as well. Reflux can be a symptom of a milk allergy rather than GERD itself.

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Re: Nutramigen milk, poss MPI and reflux AND meds questions!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:40:50 am »
Hi Katy

My DD was put on Nutramigen at 11 weeks.  She took to it fairly quickly (maybe 10 days or so) but we were still getting the clear sicky which the paed said was acid.  She went on zantac which helped immensley but then the clear sick turned into milky sick for the reflux so she was also put on the Gaviscon.  On all three she was much improved.

She is now off the zantac but still on the Gaviscon.  She has just moved up to Nutramigen 2 which we are going through the taste issue of again but doesn't seem to be lasting long which is good.

Persevere, for us Nutramigen was brill

Linda x