Author Topic: lactose  (Read 1301 times)

Offline kels

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
lactose
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:16:44 am »
my son is 7 months and we suspect that he is lactose intolerant, my husband was as baby too. im waiting for appt at hosp-october! we have cut the dairy out to be on safe side. he is on wysoya formula which he loves! but what can i give him for calcium. i give loacto free cheese and soya yogs

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:38 am »
Soy formula is sufficient for calcium - it has all of the required calories, nutrients, fat, etc that a milk based formula has. I have no experience with lactose free cheese, but I suspect that it is the same - lactose is a milk sugar and breaking down the sugar in the milk does not destroy any of the calcium, protein, or other contents...just the sugar.  Same with soy yogurts, they are seen as a good replacement for milk yogurts for babies with milk allergy or intolerance, and so would be the same for lactose intolerance as well.

You can buy lactose free milk in the supermarket and use that to cook with - white sauces for over fish or veggies, making custard, home made puddings, etc.  Or, you can buy lactose drops, which you add into regular milk and it breaks down the lactose for you, and then use that to cook with. The drops you would probably have to get from a chemist but I know when my mom used them (which was about 15 years ago!) she chose the drops because it was much cheaper, and it was handy to have a bottle of the drops in the house when she ran out of Lactaid on a weekend and couldn't get any.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: lactose
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:43:51 am »
Leafy green veggies are high in calcium: broccoli, spinach (go easy on that b/c of oxalic acid), kale, chard, beet greens. Salmon is also rich in calcium. Oh, and if you can make some broth/soup stock with soup bones, some of the calcium from the bones will be in the broth. :)

We are lactose intolerant as well but have found that if we eat yogurt it's OK since the culturing of the milk breaks down enough of the lactose that we can tolerate it; ditto some cheeses. For people who are REALLY lactose-intolerant, though, that might not be enough.

We prefer fortified rice milk (when older - not for babies :)) to soy milk, and add a powdered supplement to that which is also rich in lots of nutrients. :)

Offline kels

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: lactose
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:34:36 am »
thnaks guys, im aware of the leafy green veg and he has that in meals, so hopfully he will be getting enough, he usually drinks between 500-600ml of milk and occasionally a bit less if teething. he isnt a great eater  but i do try and persevere. he isnt a massive baby he is 15lb 15 oz, and tall.