Author Topic: change in BM's since switching to cow's milk  (Read 2995 times)

Offline yellow rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
change in BM's since switching to cow's milk
« on: August 30, 2009, 18:27:03 pm »
My lo fought the switch from formula to cow's milk, but finally decided that he liked it and now guzzles it from his sippy cup or bottle.  However, since he has started drinking anywhere from 18 to 22 ounces of milk a day, he has also started having many more bowel movements and they are not as formed as they used to be.  Sorry if that's too much information!   :-\  He doesn't appear to be having any discomfort, but I'm wondering if he might be lactose intolerant which is why there has been such a change in his stools.  Any thoughts?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
Re: change in BM's since switching to cow's milk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 19:21:22 pm »
There is lactose in milk-based formula as well, so it's not likely the case.  I do know that the switch from formula to cow's milk can cause looser stools - a totally normal reaction that some LOs may have, others may not, but it's not considered abnormal...just the body getting used to the change.  (Info is from our hospital paed when we saw him about DS doing a milk challenge to see if he had outgrown his milk allergy - he told me that when moving on to cow's milk, you can't judge diarrhea ALONE as an indicator that there is still a milk allergy, because the switch very often causes diarrhea while LO gets used to it).

If he is not in any discomfort and he is happy to drink the cow's milk, I would continue on with it and just keep your eye on his poop. If it persists for a week or so, it's worth a phone call to your LO's doctor just to see what he/she advises. 

Offline yellow rose

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:55 am »
Thanks.  I'll keep an eye on it and see how he does over the next few days.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:30 am »
That is a LOT of milk. It just might be a difference in the amount of milk protein he's getting. If you're worried you could try to replace some of that with water or diluted juice (AT LEAST half water). :)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 14:32:33 pm »
DD had this happen as well. Looser stools that tended to be lighter in color than previously as well. They seem to be regulating a bit more now but I will still see some similar issues depending on how much milk she drinks and also what else she eats during the day. She never had any discomfort etc. so I just stuck with it and kept an eye for them becoming dark and possibly having blood in them, but they never did.