Author Topic: Fish  (Read 5511 times)

Offline nelliestar

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
Fish
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:12:36 am »
My DS is 8mths and a good eater with no allergies. I have read that lo's should have oily fish every week. Do other people give fish regularly, what types and in what form? Have given salmon a couple of times but thats all. He has chicken, red meats and lentils for protein.
Thanks guys1
Nell xxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:13:46 am »
Oily fish are a great source of omega-3 as well as heme iron.   Salmon was one of our "staples" for DS's meal times at that age.  I tried to have it at least twice per week.  One of the other reasons, aside from the nutritional aspect, that I liked with salmon was that is was sooooo easy to prepare! 

We would buy a large fillet, skinned and boned and then cut it up into chunks about 2" x 2". Wrap individually in cling film and then foil and pop them all in the freezer. On salmon days they took only a few minutes to defrost in a bowl of water, so it meant that if I had forgotten to take something out for LO's dinner salmon would always be ready in a pinch.   Once fish is defrosted, then a few inches of milk (we used formula) in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Put fish in, simmer for 4-5 minutes until the salmon is flaky.  That's it - done!    It's nice with white sauce or cheese sauce over it (my LO was milk allergic so I couldn't).  I used to flake the salmon and mix it with some pureed apple or pear, or mush it with avocado.  He also liked it with a mix of carrot, cauliflower and tomato mushed together. 

Now he's taken a dislike to it cooked that way, we still try to do salmon, tuna, mackerel, or sardines twice per week.  If it is salmon or tuna, I mix it together with cream cheese and use it as a sandwich spread.  Mmmmm.

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 14:57:20 pm »
We are big fans of fish in this house.  Salmon, tuna, bass, tilapia, etc.  Fish is quite easy to prepare & to cook.  We just season with herbs & broil/grill or pan-fried.  Salmon is a favorite for us.  As Mash stated, try incorporate at least one serving of fish for the benefits of omega 3. 

Fish is brain food.  ;)
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Fish
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 15:32:39 pm »
listening in for ideas, we dont do fish and i'd really like to
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 19:49:02 pm »
Also popping in for ideas. I wasn't raised in a "fisy" family so haven't learned many ways to prepare it and don't get it often. Poor DD gets tuna from a can  :o because of my lack of knowledge and in reality habit. I don't think to purchase fish even! But I do LOVE tilapia, trout, etc. (not big on salmon but DH is). I know you can bake fish fairly quickly with a light butter basting....mmmm

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 00:31:15 am »
listening in for ideas, we dont do fish and i'd really like to

Have tried fish curry?  I had it once at a friend's house and it was delicious.  I can't remember what fish she used but it was a firm white fish. 

Nicole, cooking fish is really simple.  If you are a novice at cooking with fish, then buy fish fillets (frozen or fresh) then preparation is really straight forward.  You can season the fish to taste (salt & pepper) or go fancy with various herbs & spices. Then you can do the following:  bake, grill, pan-fried, broil & put in batter and fried. 

We did BLW, so we didn't do anything special when offering fish to the kids.  We just put some on their plates and let them pick at it.  As the kids loves eating fish, I never had to hide it, kwim? 

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 01:28:28 am »
oh yes Mimi, my mum makes the yummiest spicy fish curry problem is DH won't eat fish so becomes a pain to cook something different for him and something different for me IYKWIM, so need to find some quick easy recipies which can be lunch for DS and I
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:14:42 am »
You can tell dh that's it's "chicken of the sea".  ;)

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 02:16:50 am »
tried that..wierd thing is he will eat shellfish....but not fish...but I just got myself a salmon can, so mayo and salmon might be on the lunch menu for DS and I...starting simple ;)
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 07:52:53 am »
Mukta I know one of my baby cookbooks says that fish is one of the hardest foods to get LOs to eat!   I have a nice recipe for monkfish kebabs, although I had never heard of or seen monkfish in North America so I'm not sure if it is available, and if it is it may be very expensive?  But, I have had it at tapas meals before in Europe and it is a lovely, delicate non-fishy fish.  We are making bkfst (well DH is....) right now but will post it later today x

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:37 am »
 I have just made a fish dish using plaice mashed with carrots and DS loves it. I cook the fish in the microwave, same as you would do in a pan really. Just cover it in milk and cover with cling film and pierce a couple of times and its done in 3 mins.

Another one I have done, its actually a Annabel Karmel, is a salmon fillet popped in the oven with OJ. Sounds weird but DS loved it. I'll write out the recipe if you want, just let me know.

Fish in cheese sauce is also a winner over here, I just use any white fish. I make batches of cheese sauce in advance so if I have any veggies left over from our meals, or fish...whatever really...I can meake a quick and tasty meal for Brodie.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 13:07:16 pm »
Frozen fillets sound like a good way for us to go. We tend to "forget" and not get around to making things that we plan on and then our foods tend to go bad. :( OOPS. So that is something I will keep an eye out for next time we go shopping. I do the breading and frying for chicken a lot, as well as baking. Grilling sounds good, DH loves to grill so I can have that be a job for him! I like fish and DD seems to like it as whenever we go out to a restaurant I will order it and share with her ( I am sure NO where near as healthy as it would be at home hehee)

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 17:09:57 pm »
This is great!! Thanks guys, yet again!
Nell xxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 16:33:41 pm »
would anyone like to share the cheese sauce recipe??? please :-*
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 16:38:22 pm »
Mukta can you make a plain white sauce? I do that and then just add a few handfuls of cheese!