Author Topic: Flip Flopping Practice at Nap Time?  (Read 803 times)

Offline blessedbear

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Flip Flopping Practice at Nap Time?
« on: September 17, 2009, 17:21:39 pm »
So DD is 6 months on saturday and learning how to flip over and often practices when she goes down for naps not so much when she has her actual tummy time.  This is taking its toll on her settling down to sleep it used to take her 5-10 mins now she can go for an hour just flipping.  My question is do I go in and flip her back onto back or just let her work it out?? 

She hasn't really learned she can lay her head down on tummy so she just continues moving.  Today I actually shusshed/patted on her back and she also sleeps face down if she does stay on her tummy so I turned her head to side a little and shusshed/pat.  Is this ok at 6 months?! 

She doesn't cry so pu/pd we dont do.  One last question can I give her a teething toy (she is not teething) to keep her occupied so as to distract her from not rolling over or not introduce this it maybe a prop?! 

Help our naps have been wonky for about 4-5 days now.  We are trying to get naps back on track its like sleep training all over again now that she's flipping.  She wakes after 45 mins she just stirred a little at 50 mins so I went and did/shush/pat it seemed to have worked.  Thanks!  oh she is an awesome night-sleeper 7 pm - 7 am I wake her.  She just started rice cereal last week as well.

Offline bennysmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
Re: Flip Flopping Practice at Nap Time?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 19:18:44 pm »
Awwwww, I remember this!!    I think maybe LOs get so excited by the new skill that they just can't stop, lol. 

For us, what worked was popping a teddy bear on either side of DS.  A little one on his right hand side that he picks up and plays with.

Good luck! 

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 00:59:17 am »
Oh dear, this brings back memories for me as well!  :P

PP gave an excellent suggestion.  I would also like to offer that if this continues for a few more days you might try discontinuing the rice cereal and trying a fruit or veggie.  My son turned out to be really sensitive to grains -- they'd give him a tummy ache -- and then he'd roll around in his crib for hours 'cuz his tummy hurt.  It may be that she's flip=flopping try to find a way to get comfy with a gassy tummy.

Not saying this is the case as learning to flip is a natural step in development! But the coincidence of the starting cereals and the flipping around struck me and reminded me of my son's issues.  It would take 3-4 days after stopping the food for it to get out of his system, and as little as 1 Tbs would cause digestive problems for him.

Good luck!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline blessedbear

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 16:36:56 pm »
Hi!  Sooo I went ahead and put the sleep positioner back during naps and this seems to be helping.  It was getting too ridiculous it's like she wouldn't practice flipping during tummy time or Activity time but the minute she went down for naps she would just get all fired up and start flipping.  The sleep positioner is the First Years one and I think it also makes her feel a little more snug so hopefully we can get back to decent naps of at least an hour.  Thanks for the advice she doesn't really seem to like the rice cereal and noticed a little diaper rash which she never has so I'm gonna stop the rice.  As far as the oatmeal it seems a little tastier but off topic subject when introducing something new do I only feed at one meal a day or since I am stopping the rice can I substitute the Oatmeal instead?
Thanks!

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 19:41:50 pm »
Yes, when starting something new you limit to one meal and you keep portions small (1-2 Tbs max).  If you've got a kid who seems to be sensitive (as it appears you do), you should keep at the small portions for about 3 days before deciding to increase portion and adding another food.  In my son's case his symptoms never appeared until Day 3, so we stayed on small portions for a week before starting something new.  Yes, it took ages to get foods added to his list but before I instituted that rule I had a kid who was waking up a million times at night!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!