Author Topic: is this too much food at almost 9 months?  (Read 884 times)

Offline djwflub

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
is this too much food at almost 9 months?
« on: October 06, 2009, 19:10:05 pm »
I have a hefty almost 9 month old boy (about 23lb) with a great appetite - Im worried that he's eating too much though & would appreciate some advice...

on waking - 4 oz milk (usu) from a 7oz bottle

bfast - cereal with the rest of his 7oz bottle - approx 3 oz

lunch - 160g ish of solids (meat based) + petit filous + water

3pm - 7oz bottle offered -usu takes about 5oz

tea - 160g - ish veg solid meal + fruit - 3 oz ish

bedtime 70z bottle - sometimes leaves an oz or two.

He was born large (90 - something centile) & is still there. The thing is, he would happily eat through a 190g baby food jar followed by one of the pudding jars (we went away for a week & only had access to the jars) - I couldnt believe how much he ate & Im wondering now whether I'm not giving him enough!!!

Obviously I stop if he refuses....that never happens & he usu cries after his first course as if he's hungry!

Does it look like too much food?

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: is this too much food at almost 9 months?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 19:38:15 pm »
hi there

I bfed both my los so hard to know how much they took/how much Emma is taking right now at the same age as your DS but they are also big, on 97th for length and weight (well Oscar was till he hit the 2s, has now slimmed down and is on 90th-97th for height and 75th for weight)...and yes, Emma is eating around the same as your DS most days and some days even more in that she will grab some toast, some cheerios etc as I am getting a meal ready and gobble that up as well as the meal itself!

Our day looks like this:
bf around 7am
cereal around 200grams when mixed with the milk at 8am
sometimes a tiny snack with water around 10-10.30 b4 or after tiny nap in buggy (a corn snack or piece of banana)
lunch - varies can be meat/fish based but twice a week-ish its veg and cheese like cauliflower, potato and cheese etc....mushed up (her fave with a bit of nutmeg) I freeze in the big Avent pots and she empties or almost empties them every day so thats a definite 200g, water to drink and then a small baby yoghurt
bf when I get home around 3.30pm usually her fave of the day but again hard to say how much she is taking
tea is veg and cereal based usually....trying to do more and more finger foods here now....so avocado chunks, toast, steamed veg we are all eating anyway etc....
7pm feed was going badly recently as she was filling up so much on her pureed tea but is now a bit better
I had dropped the DF by Emma's choice in late Jul/early Aug but brought it back (she will eat no bother without waking from the breast) due to poor intake at 7pm and EWs around 4-5am due to knockon hunger and to keep my supply up with 4 rather than 3 feeds in 24 hours...

I would say if your DS is long as well as heavier than average and is holding his own on his centiles as well as telling you when he's had enough then you need to keep giving him these amounts.

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline nelliestar

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
Re: is this too much food at almost 9 months?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:19 am »
Hi!

Our DS is 9 and a half mths and about 25lbs (our poor backs!)
He eats about the same as your LO except when poorly or teething. I think we just have big strapping boys who eat well! I'm not worried.

Nell xxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx