Author Topic: how and when to start finger foods?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
how and when to start finger foods?
« on: October 22, 2009, 20:40:56 pm »
Oh I know this has been asked and as a second time Mom I should know... but when do I start offering finger foods, as in, the kind LO needs to chew to swallow?  My daughter teethed so late I swear she wasn't chewing until she was 18 months!

Meanwhile, how much solids vs formula should he be getting now?  I feel like we're on the same schedule we were at 6 months... wondering what our next step is.

Maybe I should note he's still taking up to 40 oz of formula a day -- usually more like 35.

Thanks!!

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: how and when to start finger foods?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:38:29 am »
You can totally start offering some soft finger foods if your lo seems interested. Pastas, very soft fruits and veggies (you can cook them to make them easier to mash etc.), cheerios, and other dissolving grain type things....all of these are fine to start introducing. He doesn't even need any teeth for most of this stuff. Just make the pieces small, manageable sizes. :)

HTH.

Offline Mum-of-Two

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:55:16 am »
OK, about a week ago I gave him one of those "poofs", sorta like a cheerio but sold as toddler food and disolves super fast.   He gagged on it even though I held it for him to get it disolving first.  Do I wait until he figures out how to chew...?  He watches us like crazy when we eat, we purposely feed him his jar food at the same time but it doesn't stop his stares at us like "dude, just give me some pizza!"  ;)  LOL

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 21:36:39 pm »
DD loved those puffs. I had to hide the containers from her. She had trouble the first few times but once she figured out what was supposed to happen...ie; let it get wet, mash a bit with gums, THEN swallow, she was good to go. Once she could handle the puffs I started introducing more and more other foods. It's a little scary when they gag but it's a good sign that he's not going to choke b/c he recognizes that it's too big to swallow. I'd keep trying and make it fun and lighthearted. The little toddler meals make really really really soft raviolis and things like that that FALL apart practically. DD loves those as well if you're interested in trying.

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:52:11 am »
I want to follow your post.  DS is kind of having same problems.  He will eat the puffs and a few other things. 

Our problem is if the taste is strange, lumpy or not, he will gag himself until he porjectile vomits everything! He does this with some purees...weird

And it makes NO sense what he is ok with and not:  boiled broccoli tops=good to go, avacado (totally smooth)=vomit
Both green both veggies, but forget it!

He is a week away from 8 months so I am hoping it gets better as he gets older

Hope your LO does better

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 12:38:03 pm »
Mommy Mertel-Try keeping track of the textures of foods that cause the gagging/vomitting. Some los have an issue with certain textures until they are a bit older. That may give you some insight as to what he tolerates and what he doesn't. HTH. :)

Offline Mum-of-Two

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 15:37:31 pm »
I think maybe I'll try something softer -- those poofs are not working.  Thanks ladies!!