Author Topic: shush-pat help 8 week old  (Read 985 times)

Offline kaitlinlee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 25, 2009, 23:31:29 pm »
I have an 8 week old that I haven't really committed to sleep training like I should have yet :)  Oops! Right now after an hour of A time, when she gets her fussy sounds, I bring her to her room, swaddle, bounce and sway a bit while shushing till she is tired, put her down and pat her butt till she is asleep.  The problem is she ALWAYS wakes up at 45 minutes.  I have tried shorter and longer awake.  I have tried patting her butt and shushing her for about 30 minutes to no avail, plus I usually cave once she gets her scream/cough cry.  When this happens I pick her up, clam her down, get her drowsy again, and then try the pat in the crib again.  It takes 10 minutes to calm her down in my arms a lot of time though.  So, my question is do I pick her up if she starts her crazy bad cry or do I just keep patting?  It just hasn't seemed to calm her down.  Plus, how long, if I commit to this every nap, will it take till I see her start responding to this training.  I just need a goal :( And how long should I pat at the 45 minute mark to get her through?  Oh, I also tries w2s and that was terrible, just a shorter nap, and I tried being there to pat as soon as she starts moving and she still did the exact same thing. 

One other thing, she does NOT wake happy at 45 minutes.  She waked screaming, and if I get her up and say nap over she just cries and screams no matter what I do :(  so sad.

She is on 3 hour easy, though hard to do if she only sleep 45 minutes.

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: shush-pat help 8 week old
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 00:41:50 am »
Can you show us your routine in:
E (time)
A (time)
S (time)
We can have a look at her A times that way.  A times are from when their eyes open to when they shut for S  ;).
My DS2 is almost 4mo and we have struggled with 45min naps since about the age of your LO, sorry to say we still struggle  :(.  But I don't get him up if he wakes at 45min, I use pat/sh and replug paci until he drifts off again.  Sometimes it takes once or twice, sometimes he never goes back to sleep  ::) and I get him up at his next E time.  And sometimes he sleeps right through to 1.5hr or 2hr!  But he doesn't do the outrageously angry / OT cry ( I suspect your LO is OT once that cry starts).  Does he calm if you pick up?

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: shush-pat help 8 week old
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 00:43:30 am »
Also wanted to add that the "fussy sounds" start here about 30min before he's actually ready for S, so I start quiet activities, dim the lights, snuggling, etc. at the fussiness and watch for the yawning and getting still.

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline kaitlinlee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 22:30:08 pm »
I don't have everything written down well so I will try to do that over the next few days, but I tried to do 45 minutes of E, A, and then 15 minutes of wind down to eye closed when I thought she was over tired.  No good.  Now I do an hour of E and A, 15 minutes of wind down with songs and books, and 15 minutes to sleep.  1.5 seems like a long time for a 2 month old but when I did less she still woke up after 45 minutes and woke up a TON at night.  She went down about as easy.  And if I do pick her up at 45 minutes she usually cries for about a minute and then falls right asleep, but has a hard time falling into a deep sleep.  She wants to be in this calm, sudo sleep for about another hour beyond the first nap.