Author Topic: will only drink milk  (Read 1276 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
will only drink milk
« on: November 29, 2009, 00:35:44 am »
Ever since we fully transitioned off of bottles at 13 months, my LO will only drink milk out of his sippy.  He won't drink water, juice, or anything in between.  He is 16 months now and his only liquid source is rice milk/coconut milk.  DH and I have tried all different kinds of juices.  We have tried giving them really cold, room temperature, warm, etc.  Now I know most parents aren't eager for their LO's to have juice.  But I really want my LO to drink something else.   He will literally throw the up back at me when it doesn't have milk in it.  Before this transition, he drank water all the time with meals.  But as soon as the bottles disappeared, he stopped.  Any tips?
Kara

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Re: will only drink milk
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 17:46:21 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the juice, but I do understand wanting to him at least drink water--or SOMETHING for times when you're out and about.  Have you tried offering it in a different style cup?

Hoping some one else will have some ideas, too.  :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 17:57:41 pm »
My LO will only drink water from a sippy.  If she sees milk in it she says 'no' and looks at me like I'm mad and waits for her water. 

She will though drink it from an open cup.  How about having an open cup with water at mealtimes which you can help him with?  We started open cups at abour 14 months and my LO loved it.  Then maybe once he realises he likes it again you can transfer it to a new sippy cup and he may be more keen? 

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 18:24:22 pm »
Same here...it is a constant and ongoing game of what he will drink and in what cup.  Was off of bottles for weeks and then last week completely stopped drinking ANYTHING (milk, water, juice, etc) until I put milk in a bottle and warmed it....now drinking milk again. Won't do juice unless I get the cup just right and water is hit or miss.  May want it in the blue cup with soft spout, perhaps the green with the hard spout, etc etc.  And it's teeth.  Alll about his teeth. Goldilocks sends his bottle back to the kitchen if the temperature isn't juuuuuuuust right, too.  Too hot, or too cold, climbs off of the sofa and stands in the kitchen holding his bottle stomping his feet - and he used to drink it very hot or very cold or anything in between.

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
Re: will only drink milk
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 18:41:48 pm »
Peek - I totally see where you are coming from with the juice issue.  I never thought I would be encouraging juice.  I just want him to drink SOMETHING other than milk and if it is watered down juice, then whatever.  KWIM?

Shiv - I will try and open cup and see what happens.  He actually took a sip of seltzer from my cup once and after a funny/surprised reaction, came back for more.  So maybe he would drink water from it.

Mashi - That is funny how goldilocks changes the temp.  I love it, but I totally know how frustrating it is.

We try all different kinds of cups too.  I have at least 10 sippy cups and my LO will always drink from 2 of them.  They are starter cups.  The others are hit or miss.  Sometimes he sees us coming with one and starts freaking out right away.  There is one that is for older toddlers and it doesn't have a spill proof valve on it and he will sometimes drink from that.  But it is a pain when he starts tossing it around and there is milk everywhere.

Kara