Author Topic: how many hours 2mo. should sleep during day?  (Read 705 times)

Offline nicolas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
how many hours 2mo. should sleep during day?
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:30:14 am »
My second son was born 2 months ago. I did EASY with my first, with many ups and downs, but I would like to try it with my second.  Jordan, my 8 week old, seems to sleep for long hours throughout the day and I am going to note down what he is doing this week to move into an EASY routine.  I took a look at the sample routines and saw that most 0-3 months took about 4 naps that varied in length. Does anyone know how many hours 2 months old generally sleep.  If there are 4 naps, is it basically any where from 4 hours to 6 throughout the day?  Jordan still has days here and there where he seems to sleep most of the day (and not switching day and night...)
Would love to hear from anyone who has some thoughts on the matter.

thanks, Liana

Offline krfrance07

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: how many hours 2mo. should sleep during day?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:17:19 am »
My LO is 7 weeks old and generally her first 2 naps of the day are 2 hour naps.  Her third nap is around 1.5 hours.  Her fourth is about an hour and then there is another 40 minute to 1 hour nap in the evening before her bath.  The catnap.  I read somewhere that 0-3 months they sleep anywhere from 14-18 hours out of the day.  Of course, all kids are different, some need more sleep and some less.  Best is to read his cues.  If you find him wanting to play at night or having extra NWs, then he might be sleeping too long during the day.

My LO is just getting back on a good routine (we were thrown off by a growth spurt).  I often have to wake her for feeds at the 3 hour mark during the day, but that seems to help her go to bed well at night and she's sleeping 5-6 hours at a time during the night.  I can give you our current routine if you would like it.
Household Six

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:52:57 am »
Hi Liana!

Have you had a chance to look at this topic?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85134.0

As you can see, LOs' sleep needs run the gamut.  I think what it basically boils down to is trial and error...seeing how much sleep leads to a good, well-rested, happy baby kind of day...as unspecific as that is.  Keeping a log for 2-3 days like you mentioned will help you figure out how to tailor EASY for him.

A general rule of thumb, however, is to not let naps go past an E time.  That normally caps naps at 2 hours long each.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline nicolas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:36:55 am »
I will check out that link.

and krfrance, I would like to see your routine if you don't mind posting it.
thanks, liana