Author Topic: hates fruit  (Read 812 times)

Offline jadesmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 22, 2009, 20:44:49 pm »
my dd 7 months hates all fruit I know wierd she loves all veggies  I've tried fruit every which way organic ,,not organic jarred ,smashed mashed purreed,disguised it mixed it evenadded  sugar nope her lips r clamped any one else have this prob and help

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 20:56:43 pm »
Have you tried the baby-safe feeder? It's a little mesh sack with a handle on it, we used to put watermelon, canteloupe, pears, whatever we had on hand!  DD would gnaw on that thing like it was her JOB!  They get the flavor and the juices with no danger of choking, since nothing but juice and pulp can for thru the mesh...it is a great way to experiment!  Bonus is it helped with teething pain also!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 21:46:16 pm »
If she's loving veggies, nothing wrong with not liking fruit! At this age solid food is just about learning to eat, trying new textures and flavours, smashing it around on a tray and smearing it through her hair!  She's getting all of her needed nutrition from her milk (breast or formula) right now and will do until she's 12 months.  In the next few months just keep offering her different foods, incl fruits that she has tried and rejected -- it can take dozens of offerings to get LOs to like some things!  And, should she turn out to always be a veggie lover and not a fruit lover, really, there is nothing wrong with it as nutrients that are in fruits are in veggies as well! 

Offline mokey_cat

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 22:01:10 pm »
My LO also never ate fruit until she was able to feed herself.  She refused it in pureed/mashed etc - I occasionally put a tiny bit in her cereal but as soon as she was able to hold the fruit herself and put it to her mouth of her own accord, she would eat it and now she loves pears, apples etc.  TBH I have found that she will eat a lot more now she can feed herself.  I wouldnt worry at all especially if shes eating veggies!!  Shes doing great  ;D.

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: hates fruit
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:04:38 am »
Same here, Dylan often rejected fruit until I gave it to him as finger food or in the mesh feeders.  I think that compared to the sweeter veggies (swt potato, carrot, squash) especially, fruit is actually quite tart!  We just kept offering it to him, and eventually he started getting a bit more adventurous and trying it.  Banana was the first accepted one, probably because when ripe it is very, very sweet.  Now it seems like some days that's all he eats! ::)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline mini_egg282

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: hates fruit
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:47:26 am »
Some babies only like fruit if it is cold. Mine likes it half frozen - I just heat it up in microwave for a few seconds and then mush up the remaining frozen bits and I can't get it to him quick enough!

You may want to try mixing it with veggies too as fruits like apples can be a bit tart at first. Apples and sweet potatoes go well together.