Author Topic: Child Will Not Drink From Straw  (Read 1300 times)

Offline AshleyB

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • My Photos
Child Will Not Drink From Straw
« on: January 19, 2010, 20:36:27 pm »
I need tips. My 21 month old daughter still cannot drink out of a straw, and it's becoming really inconvenient. I've read that babies are capable of drinking from a straw at 6 months! I looked online and tried this technique about getting liquid into a straw, then holding your finger on top while the child drinks from the bottom. Well, she does that just fine, applying the required suction. However, she just can't seem to apply that sucking motion to a straw that's pointed down into a cup.

Any suggestions?
Mom to Chandler McCrea born April 2, 2008
Spirited/Textbook

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Child Will Not Drink From Straw
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 13:57:15 pm »
what about a carton of juice/milk and when she has the straw in her mouth you can apply a little pressure to the carton to get the milk/juice into the straw and might encourage her to suck and keep sucking on the straw.

Offline Aleeza

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Child Will Not Drink From Straw
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 13:56:54 pm »
Hi Ashley
Dont worry on if your child is not drinking from straw, I will tell u my story I also believed that my child will not dring fromstraw, but to my surprised I saw her doing so when my parents came to drop us at the airport, my father gave a juice with straw to Aleeza (my daughter) I told him she cant drink it like this,but she did drink
what he did he gave straw to Aleeza and made an expression like inhaling with the straw like you know we do in slow motion,do it several times and I am sure your baby will start drink from straw. Just take the straw in your hand and suck in slow motion like you drink and make the sound (suckin sound),he will catch it as a fun, but dont forget to use narrow  normal straws,which we get in restaurants to drink
Take care and good luck I wll pray god for
Rubina
Love you
Aleeza