Author Topic: Egg yolks at 4 mo.  (Read 20358 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Egg yolks at 4 mo.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »
in uk it is recommended no egg until 7months and no white until one if any atopic disease such as asthma or eczema(sp?) or allergies.

My son has eczema and my health visitor was fine with whole fully cooked eggs from 6 months.  Current thinking is that it might be best not to wait, especially if breastfeeding alongside but that said, they still recommend not before 6 months.

Do remember that even 10 years ago, advice was very different and in 10 years time it will be different again.

Oops!  Just realised how old this post is!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 14:47:14 pm »
Yes I remember the advice I had 2yrs ago when I had my ds1 was very different to the current advice now.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 15:21:12 pm »
Yes and also even within the UK advice changes from region to region and from one HV to another.  My son was MSPI and even with his allergies the consultant paediatric dietician was insistent that there was NOTHING that he could not have from the age of 6 months. Once babies are six months, feed them everything, aside from honey - and then in our case milk and soy. She did not feel there was any need to even stay away from other potential allergens.  "How will you know if he is allergic to eggs if you don't try them?" was her advice and in fact we were strongly encouraged to give eggs as a first food.  I did wait, but only because I sort of plotted out my own plan for foods, and I did only do yolks until after 12 months but the dietician thought I was an extreme case of "over protective" for taking that approach.  So things really do vary with who you speak with. I don't think it is "irresponsible professionals" but I think it is just that stuff like this is so variable and wishy-washy in terms of any hard facts for what is "best" that each professional is only doing the same as parents are....reading, evaluating the source and making their own judgements on what they feel is best.

I have read a lot about egg yolks as a very first food at 4-6 months and it is really quite common here, especially in the "organic parenting" circles.  They are so nutritious and unless you have a reason to suspect an allergy to it then there is no reason not to try.

And actually I agree with the salt as well - again something that I think is often misunderstood. In places where "salt" means small grains of table salt which is actually sodium chloride, then no, you can't be giving babies salt!  But true natural sea salt or himalayan salt is not the same as sodium chloride and does not have the same properties or same dangers.  If you are buying sea salt that is comparable in price to table salt then it's not the real deal and is no better than table salt, but quality authentic sea salt, not the same at all.  It doesn't mean that you can go shaking it like crazy on baby's food but pinches of it are not problematic.  In many countries, babies eat the same food as the adults do, and the salt is not a concern because it is not sodium chloride table salt.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 15:57:15 pm »
BTW my comment about supposed professionals giving dangerous advice was directed at the OP's nutritionist who told her that salt being bad for babies is a myth. I worry that him saying that to mamas without explanation may lead some to disregard the advice to limit salt intake in babies.

Does anyone know if rock salt is as bad as table salt?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 16:02:52 pm »

I don't know, because I am not sure what is meant by rock salt in the UK....where I come from, rock salt is spread on roads in the winter and it would be worse than table salt, because it is just pure sodium chloride (which is bad) but in larger grains, so you would by nature of the size be consuming more.  You wouldn't eat rock salt, but perhaps it is just something different in the UK.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 17:51:43 pm »
No it's the same thing as the stuff you spread on roads and one can eat it http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getCategories.do?tags=%7C20424%7C20638%7C20639%7C20641
I looked it up and you can even buy Canadian maple smoked rock salt :)

So sea salt is mostly sodium chloride but with extra minerals in there too no?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 18:56:09 pm »
BTW my comment about supposed professionals giving dangerous advice was directed at the OP's nutritionist who told her that salt being bad for babies is a myth. I worry that him saying that to mamas without explanation may lead some to disregard the advice to limit salt intake in babies.

Salt is NaCl.  There are impurities but they're at tiny levels.  Rock salt is from rocks, pumping water down into salt deposits into rocks and drying it out, sea salt is from the sea, drying out the sea water.

I agree.  Salt is generally bad for babies and toddlers.  There are sources of sodium within foods without adding salt additionally to a diet.  For example, there is plenty of salt in bread and cheese which are both commonly eaten foods for toddlers.

I wouldn't rely nor use sea salt as a source of extra minerals.  There are better sources.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/