Author Topic: 18 month old refuses to nap  (Read 1464 times)

Offline ybilger

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 month old refuses to nap
« on: April 05, 2010, 22:15:23 pm »
Hi there,

My DD just turned 18 months and for the last 5 weeks we've been having some real problems for her naps. She goes to bed no problem at night but naps a real nightmare.
She has her lunch at a school similar to Gymboree gym and she used to fall sleep in the car or right after we got home. Used to be very simple, but for the last five weeks she screams as soon as I put her in her bed.  I have tried giving her a relaxing bath, reading a book, laying in bed with her and she still fights it.

We have been down to 1 nap for a while. and her routine looks like this:

8-8:30 Wake
9 - Eat
10 - Activity (she goes to a baby school, something like Gymboree class) She has lunch there
Noonish - Eat (we live in Mexico and this would be considered her main meal)
1:30 - Nap
3:30 - Activity (snacks)
7 - Eat
8ish - Sleep

Suggestions?

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 22:22:41 pm »
hi there, im just gonna pop this over to the toddlers board for you :)

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Re: 18 month old refuses to nap
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 23:06:51 pm »
So does she *still* fall asleep in the car on the way home and your problem is that she won't go back to sleep when you get home? Or is the problem that she *doesn't* fall asleep in the car on the way home and also refuses nap once you get back?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline ybilger

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:13:59 am »
As soon as I transfer her from the car she wakes up and won't go back to sleep. And as soon as I put her in bed she starts screaming (even with 30 mins of wind down)... sometimes I just say good bye but only 2 out of 10 times she goes to bed, the rest she screams for 5 mins and just lays there .. no nap... but then she's falling sleep by 5:30 pm.

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 14:45:38 pm »
OK.  i get it now.  You've run into the typical toddler problem -- once they get even 5 minutes in them in the car they won't nap once you move them.  It's just a normal part of their development.  To be honest, you've been super lucky to have it last THIS long! LOL!

You're going to have to try and keep her from falling asleep in the car.  Difficult, I know, but you're only option.  Otherwise, you might have to change this school thing she's in so that she leaves a bit earlier so she's not so sleepy in the car on the way home.  If she falls asleep, you're doomed to no additional nap.  Otherwise, you're going to have to let her have a more full nap while in the car! Either way, not a great option.

Can you change this gymboree thing for awhile?  I'd say in another 2-3 months her A time will increase enough that her nap won't fall so closely to your drive time.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline ybilger

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 21:02:09 pm »
Wonderful... another phase eh? ::)

I think IŽm going to try to pick her up earlier, that seems easier than trying to keep her awake and then rushing home to put her down for a nap... otherwise sheŽll get home and be all excited with out dog and then she ends up O

Thanks!!