Author Topic: BLW or not for tiny babies?  (Read 895 times)

Offline spodnic

• Samuel and Rose's mum
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
BLW or not for tiny babies?
« on: April 11, 2010, 19:18:02 pm »
Hi all

My LO is 5mo and only 10lb12oz, she is currently EBF and I'm a zombie because she still feeds quite a bit at night. She won't take a bottle and I'm desperate for her to put weight on so she has more capacity to STTN. The transition to solids fills me with hope to get some more sleep! I like the idea of BLW but will I get more calories into her by conventional weaning, ie purees etc? The health visitors are saying start at 6m and quite quickly move to 3 meals a day, when I mentioned BLW I got a blank stare!

She is my second child, my first is still a fussy eater at 3yo.

Thank you
Nicola

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
Re: BLW or not for tiny babies?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:33 am »
Hi, BLW can take some babies months to actually 'eat' anything! It isn't the best form of weaning if you're wanting to increase her weight quickly. Obviously purees give you more control in the short term!
  Our LO was EBF and a light weight compared to her FF counterparts. However, we did pure BLW and she could not eat enough! By the time she was 9-10months old she had overtaken my friends boys and turned into a right bruiser with big folds of baby fat on her arms! She's still quite a heavy weight now & loves all food, except egg!
  You won't know until you start how she will take to solids or how fast she will start eating! Are they worried about her weight?
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline spodnic

• Samuel and Rose's mum
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
Yes, very much so - it doesn't fall in the norm. Today I had her weighed again and she hasn't gained again (I blame the colds and tummy bug) and the HV has strongly suggested I start the baby rice now. I'm going to have a look online re early weaning as DH has some food allergies and we don't want that to contend with as well!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 15:36:09 pm »
I agree that early weaning can possibly lead to some allergies, but your LO isn't that little at 5 months old! There is the allergies area on this site you could try posting in there for advice.

The other option is formula, have you considered a top up? I was VERY anti formula when I was breast feeding DD, but in your situation the extra milk feed might be preferential over weaning early. It might also give you a bit of a rest. Your approaching the weaning point anyway when your milk supply would naturally start dropping as she weans.
Formerly 'The Goblin'