Author Topic: 10 MO suddenly started spitting food....  (Read 932 times)

Offline Miracle Baby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: April 21, 2010, 21:19:39 pm »
Solids has been the ONE thing our wee AG has done well - until recently - she has had a few hunger strikes but we figured that the pumpkin/potato combo we were giving was upsetting her tummy/ezecma and also she was pouting coz we'd been away on holiday and we use canned food rather than homemade while we are away coz it is easier and she loves the fake stuff! (ew!).  But now she has started spitting out her food.  We have tried to be really consistent with a verbal rebuke the first time and then a conseqence the next time.  We tried three things all suggested by baby-books and friends
- a hand squeeze (she barely noticed!)
- a light smack on the back of the hand (she now thinks this is clapping as she learnt to clap yesterday! so that one is a game!)
- time out with her back to us in her bouncer in her "naughty corner" (this one she doesn't realise it's a punishment either and thinks it's just play time!)

After all our dramas it would be nice if one thing could work out for us!

Offline LizzieN

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 143
Re: 10 MO suddenly started spitting food....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 23:20:53 pm »
Hey lovely,
For what it's worth sweetie I wouldn't do anything other than bring out the grumpy mummy voice. We have had little problem feeding our LO, so my advice might not be from a good place...but our LO went through a stage of throwing bits of food on the floor...I firmly told him that we didn't put good food on the floor and to put it on his tray if he didn't want it...I would point to the tray and put the food there.  If he persisted I would then take the tray away from him and tell him he had had enough.

At 10 months I don't see a lot of benefit from "discipline" in this sense....it is a good time to set ground rules, but I would just be consistent in my "mean it" mummy voice and leave it at that....if you give too much response it will turn into a game and tbh food is about exploration not massive nutrition at this stage so try not to let it turn into an anxiety for you...most likely she is doing it to get a response from you...

Honestly, don't stress just use your voice, if she does it again tell her she must be finished and take the food away...offer it back again later, she may well not be hungry or interested.

Hope that helps a little bit, basically I would just advise you not to worry....this doesn't mean she is going to have eating problems, quite the opposite actually, at least she will put it in her mouth and "try" it xxoooxx

Good luck sweetie
xxLIzzie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us