Author Topic: shush/pat  (Read 636 times)

Offline tncnyc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 23, 2010, 19:34:04 pm »
have been trying EASY for 4 days and am not expecting a miracle - but  find Shuh/Pat extremely difficult -my son is 5 weeks - he's 10 LBs - and only naps for 30 minutes at best - having problems with the mechanics of shs/pat as I can't lean over his crib for a long time due to C-section still hurts; so try to shush/pat with him over my shoulder but as soon as I get him to the crib he's awake - plus he tends to wiggle to the middle of my chest which makes me feel like a prop - am sh's patting to his breathing gets deeper - about 15-20 mins, but also get dry throat and lightheaded - and to boot he has reflux so patting in the back agitates him more - any suggestions as I am trying to persevere with EASY

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: shush/pat
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 20:49:33 pm »
Awwww hon I'm sorry. Colin had reflux too and it makes everything much more challenging. Patting does indeed tend to aggravate the reflux so definitely don't do that. We did what I called a shhh/hold instead, where I would shhh and lay one arm across his chest and the other across his knees. That worked really well for us and we did it quite a long time actually. Don't feel like you have to do everything by the book 110%. Every baby is different and you need to do what works for all of you. If you need to modify something, go for it! Especially with reflux.

Reflux does make it hard to have a real solid routine in the early months too, so don't beat yourself up about that. The main idea is to separate eating and sleeping, so keep that as your focus and you'll be fine.  :-*  :-*
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Yazzie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
Re: shush/pat
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 21:58:33 pm »
Hope things are getting better & welcome:)..really sorry abt the reflux, it can be really challenging:(..I just wanted to suggest an alternative to leaning over your lo's crib, I used to sit by ds's & hold or pat him by passing my hands through the bars, not sure if you can do that, but was a relief to my back:)

Adam's Mum