Author Topic: getting out with homemade solids??  (Read 1143 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
getting out with homemade solids??
« on: July 17, 2010, 21:39:39 pm »
hiya,
ds2 has multiple food intolerances so we are having to make all of our own solids. this is fine and i did the same for ds1 but when we got out and about i would usually take prepackaged/jar stuff and he was fine without it being heated but obviously cant use that stuff this time. how do you get out and about with your own homemade solids? so i need ideas for transporting it etc please from those who've been there done that.

we are about to do a 12hr road trip for a week holiday too at the end of the month and i'm dreading how much food i'm going to have to bring for him so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
kirry :-*

Offline mberry

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: getting out with homemade solids??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 22:20:42 pm »
Are you concerned about keeping the food fresh?  If that's the case, then a cooler with ice packs would be great. If it's a problem not being able to serve the food warm while traveling, trying getting baby used to eating foods cool or room temperature a few times before you go is a great help. 

If you'll have some way of cooking food wherever you're going, you could get a small food mill and buy whatever produce you need at a store there and make it as you need it.  That way you would just have to pack what's needed for the day of traveling and then make the rest. 

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 00:07:06 am »
Just trying to remember what I did -

He's on puree right? 

Ok - when DS was on puree and puree/mash I would make and refrigerate in little tupperware type pots which I got from the supermarket.  I'd take a flask of boiling water with me and either sit the pot in the boiling water for a few minutes which was just enough to warm it or would ask where ever I was if we were in a cafe or restaurant to blast it in the microwave (obviously making sure that it wasn't too hot).

Do you have cooking facilities where you are going on holiday?  It would probably be easier to take the raw ingredients with you and make there if so - I don't think that you could transport a week's worth of made up food, frozen or otherwise and have it still 'good' for the week. 

We did a weeks hols when DS was 7 months where I made all his food for the week there. 

Oh, also a lunchbox sized cool bag was really useful.  Ours came with mini icepacks too which were great. 

Any specific questions, let me know!! 

HTH

Steph XXX

Offline aimeeL

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:00:03 am »
We did the same as pp as far as warming the food.  I'd take a thermos of hot water and stick it in for a few minutes... at restaurants, I'd just ask them for a mug/bowl of hot water to put it in.. and was never refused.

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • 10 Years in the making...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 12:49:24 pm »
Hi...

My LO has allergies too so I make everything she eats. I do the same and just a coolbox with ice packs with us and take a thermos of hot water to warm the food. I have also asked coffee shops or restaurants to blast in their microwaves too and they always have so far.

Also avocado and bananas make easily transportable food in their own packaging and need no warming. I just take a small bowl, knife, fork, spoon and mash them whenever needed :)

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 17:59:17 pm »
Kirry is it just the road trip part that you are worried about or is it packing food for the entire week?

If it's the 12 hours on the road I would do banana and avocado as PP said. If it is the whole week you are worried about then I would still rely on those two foods as much as possible, as well as papaya if he can have that.

Otherwise do you have space in the car for a large cooler? If you can pack it full of ice then there should be loads of room for 20 little freezer pots and they won't defrost in the 12 hours if it is really packed tight with ice?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:05:09 am »
thanks so much ladies, what fabulous and yet simple ideas (and couldnt for the life of me come up with that on my own, lol!). so will buy a small cooler bag and a small thermos. and will trial him on bananas and avocado soon as that will def make life easier!

will be staying with in laws when we go away so will be able to make food there i guess but i think i might still bring loads of little pots in the esky so i dont have to worry about it while i am there. (as have to take a big esky for lots of my dairy/soy/gluten/egg/nut/seafood free diet anyway as am bf and he wont be completely weaned onto neocate by then - really should have planned the timing of this trip better, lol!)