Author Topic: How did YOU introduce dairy?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline donna_issabella

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
Re: How did YOU introduce dairy?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:43:34 am »
I would do that. It made life SO much easier when we did not have to avoid hidden dairy.

Just keep an eye out for 'off' behaviour with the hidden dairy.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 15:48:38 pm »
I agree - sounds like a good plan and would cut a LOT of corners if he is OK with it.  If not you can back peddle if you feel like it.

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 15:56:43 pm »
Ok so we did 5mls of half fat cow's milk (is that ok or do I need to be giving him full fat?) that's all we had in the house!  So do I do another 5mls tomorrow or wait a day or do 10mls?  Mashi? :-*
LAURA xx

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 16:32:04 pm »
Half fat should be fine - I believe there is more protein in full fat but don't think that it's really an issue - he can have milk or he can't, kwim? 

I saw on your other thread you said he's been a bit of stinker today and also has not had a BM yet - both of those things could be reaction related or they both could just be normal things that are totally not related, things that you wouldn't ever chalk up to anything at all if it wasn't for the milk, right?  So as far as giving him more tomorrow or not, I would say either tomorrow or the next day - if you think that today was potentially a reaction, then I would not do tomorrow, see how he is, and then go for another 5ml on Sunday.  See what you get. Then unless reaction is clear cut, go for another 5-10ml on Monday. (either 2 separate 5mls or 10mls at once) If he's still fine then, I would proceed slowly but confidently!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 20:37:35 pm »
both of those things could be reaction related or they both could just be normal things that are totally not related, things that you wouldn't ever chalk up to anything at all if it wasn't for the milk, right?
Exactly.  The BM thing though is odd - I'm surprised he hadn't had one before we gave the milk as he'd already had breakfast and had been up (and certainly awake lol ) for quite a while, so not convinced that is a reaction.  With regard to the behaviour I am not sure.  But things have been pretty stressful today so it may just be that.
I just don't wanna push it, I guess I could try again tomorrow and if it's the same leave off for a day or so and see what happens?
Oh and happy belated birthday to your LO Mashi.  Internet acces has been a bit limited for me at the mo so I'm not managing to keep up with all the threads.  I hope he (and you) are feeling a bit better now.

LAURA xx

Offline Mashi

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:36:17 am »
Then I would say wait another day and on Monday give him 5-10 ml...then maybe wait another 24-48 hours and do 10-20 ml, kwim?

Offline babybarr

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 19:33:19 pm »
Only just reading this now !!  I gave him 5mls again this morning and he's had 2 BMs and hasn't really been naughty today.  So all in all quite good - do you think I should lay off tomorrow or try upping it?
LAURA xx

Offline Mashi

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 20:09:21 pm »
Great news!! To be honest, as far as giving it or not, I would say you could argue either case, kwim?  Just go with how you feel...nothing wrong with taking a break to watch him for a day, nothing wrong with giving it a go tomorrow figuring that if he is going to have a reaction then you may as well find out sooner rather than later! 

I think that if it were me......hmmmmmm....I think I'd probably give him a slice/chunk of cheese or a small yogurt/fromage frais or a glass of milk (say 4 ounces or so) and see what happens then.  But that's just me, and like I say you could argue it either way, kwim?

Glad to hear things are going well so far, honestly I remember how much our life CHANGED when DS was no longer milk and soy free and I think I cried tears of full on joy, and I only had to stick with it until about 14months or so. So really am happy that things seem to be looking positive for you Laura!!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 20:15:09 pm »
Thanks - maybe I'll try a bit of cheese.  Something which is not nice dairy free!!  I'll keep you posted, and thanks for your support. :-*
LAURA xx

scarlettsmom

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 02:14:38 am »
Looking good!  Yay!  Hoping it continues.   ;D

Offline Mashi

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »
Laura, how are things going with the milk?

Offline babybarr

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 20:29:27 pm »
Thanks for asking.  I haven't been going overboard just trying to let him have something with milk in it once a day.  I'm also not looking at every single label - although it'll take a long time to get out of that habit!

I wasn't really sure of the next stage - whether I should be moving him onto cow's milk for cereal etc or what really.
LAURA xx

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 20:56:30 pm »
Hi, not been on a while so just caught up with this thread.  We have started reintroducing dairy this week as Keira was 1 a couple of weeks ago.   As Keira's reactions weren't 'serious' when she was little the dietician said to do a spoon of yogurt day 1, , half a tub (50g tubs) day 2, a whole tub day 3, then from day 4 to substitute 1oz of milk per day in her bottles.  She has 3 bottles at the moment (we dropped from 4 the week before last as I was worried about her apetite).  She seemed ok with the yoghurt (fromage frais is what we used actually as also suggested) and I have started with the milk.  Up to half and half today and all good too.  An extra dirty nappy but they're all quite solid.  Also did some dairylea sandwiches yesterday and today which she loved. 

The reason we were were told to do an ounce of milk at a time substitution was more to do with the tase than the reaction of a whole bottle.  As she has been on Nutramigen it is likely she wouldn't really like full fat cows milk to start with so the gradual approach was suggested.  Seems to be working.

Before this plan I did get a bit less obsessive about what else she was eating and she was allowed the odd bit of something with milk in it.  She's always eaten normal bread too which also contains milk so we reckon it was a qunatity thing.  My lactose intolerance is ok if I have certain types of milk and certain quantities but I cant drink a glass or have it on my cereal.  I know lactose and MSPI are different though. 

We haven't tried soya yet as this gave her the worst of the reactions as a baby, but again, she does eat bread containing soya and has probably had bites of other things too.

As for her cereal - she eats it dry at the moment as she wont take it off a spoon!

We were also worried about confusing her MSPI symptoms with teething too, but I guess we'll just keep trying.

Hope everyone elses challenges are going well.

Pamela