Author Topic: Woohoo! Extended a nap! What next?  (Read 743 times)

Offline NetMouse

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Woohoo! Extended a nap! What next?
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:42:20 am »
My nearly-12-week old DD has started only having 45 min naps for the last week or so. So after perusing the FAQ, I just had a go at HTTJ - and it worked!

I started off holding her arms and legs quite tightly, and that worked for the first 5 mins or so, until she started whimpering and fighting against it. Then I changed to very gentle shh/stroke, which I use to get her to sleep sometimes. I could keep her going back to sleep with that for a long time... She didn't go back into deep sleep after 20 mins - I was still doing it 50 mins after I first went in. Then I decided to leave her to it and see what happens, and she's still asleep now, 15 mins later!

Now I'm wondering if I should continue to do this when I get a chance, or if I should wait a couple of weeks for DH to be on holiday, so I can concentrate on all her naps at once.  Would it help to just do maybe for the first nap of the day for a while, or might it confuse her?

I am also tempted to try W2S, as it would involve less time if it worked, but it scares me a bit! I wonder if the success rate is as good?

Offline NetMouse

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Woohoo! Extended a nap! What next?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 13:25:29 pm »
Haven't been able to repeat the success yet - have tried on two more naps. I'm off to try a 3rd now... Nobody told me this was coming up at 3 months :(

Question still stands as to whether it would be better to wait until I've got a week or so to concentrate on all naps, or whether just doing odd ones would be helpful.

Also, she sleeps in a Woombie, which doesn't hold her arms very tightly at all. I wonder if it would be better to change her to a tighter sort of swaddle? (Uh oh, I'm not very good at swaddling...)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:14:50 am »
hi there, the miracle blanket is a good tight swaddle, its one of the highly recommended ones.

we did HTTJ whenever we felt it was needed, i wouldnt wait, its ok to do it whenever you feel. W2S is really good for habitual waking.

are you able to put up your routine at hte moment for us to take a look at?