Author Topic: when to feed solids before naptime  (Read 1354 times)

Offline catlicious

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 04, 2010, 15:28:55 pm »
Hi there,

I'm feeding my LO solids for the last month.  At this time, I only feed him solids for breaskfast and lunch.  I try to feed him 1 hour after I breastfeed, but sometimes I feed him 1.5 hrs after and immediately after (or sometimes during) he starts showing me that he's tired.  After eating, usually within 20 mins, he's tired and I put him to bed.

Should I be concerned that he may be going to bed too quickly after eating?

Thanks in advance,
Cathy

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:12 am »
How old is your LO?  A lot of moms find this happens at a point when their LO's are still having shorter A times.  It's hard to fit in BFs and solids before naptime.  That's ok, as your LO grows and his A time starts to increase, you'll find the solids fit in a little better.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline catlicious

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 14:04:12 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

My DS is 7 months old and his A time is usually 1.5-2 hours.  So do you think this will affect his digestive system in a negative way, if he does go for a nap shortly after?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 14:35:31 pm »
I don't think so.  You said he goes down about 20mins after a meal?  I don't think it's a problem, have never read anything that would indicate it would be (maybe someone else might know something I don't?).  In any case, it won't be long before his A times start to increase and then he'll have more time between his solids and naps.  So it's only temporary for now.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline catlicious

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 17:11:29 pm »
Thank you Martina,

I feel better about this!!!

Cathy

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 19:38:22 pm »
(((hugs)))  Keep me posted on how he's doing!  And also another idea if you're having trouble making the routine work is to fish around for what others do to fit it all in, or check out the FAQs for some sample routines to compare.  1.5-2hrs is rather low A time for 7mos, but if he's still taking good naps that's ok.  But watch out, I'll bet he will need more A time soon, and then you will find the solids fit in nicely!  Sounds like you're doing great.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline bumblemum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 13:38:41 pm »
Hi Cathy, I'm in exactly the same place as you. My lo is nearly 7 months old and has only just jumped to A times of 2 hrs - 2hrs15.

I'm often wiping off food from her face as I settle her down for a nap! It feels all wrong but she sleeps well so I'm just going with the flow.

She is such a little piggy that I don't wait a full hour after BF'ing her and she still finishes her meals. I normally leave it about 20 mins.

I was finding that by the end of the day I couldn't fit dinner in if I stuck rigidly to the routine so occasionally she has her dinner followed by BF and then later she has her bottle of formula. The oinky pig always finishes her bottle so I know she isn't missing out.

Got her weighed yesterday after a month or so of solids and she's finally jumped a centile and is back up to her birth centile (which is great because she had dropped two over first 4 months of her life).

Good luck with things. C x