Author Topic: Low Chemical Diets  (Read 8792 times)

Offline sherry lynn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 127
Re: Low Chemical Diets
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 17:46:41 pm »
I was a little bit of a "closet" hippy before having kids. But, yes oh yes did it come ten fold after that. For me it all started with doing cloth diapers, and well.... it's just progressed from there. Lol.

I agree though that all this stuff can make your head spin and make you feel like banging your head against the wall. :)

On a possitive note. Lyle has been juice free for almost a week, and you can't even tell.

Jean - with switching things up, I have to be very, very careful.
Remember the veggie burger incident? The same thing happened with veggie chicken nuggets. MIL bought regular ones because, well. I don't know why. But,  she tried to serve them to him..... he hasn't had a chicken nugget since.
This has happened with soooo..... many things.
Green beans, peas, apple sauce, horizon veggie yogurt blends, mac and cheese.
SPD in full force, I guess  :-\

I was so excited to see that snyder pretzles are a safe food. Those are one of Lyle's favorite thigns.

DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

hrk

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 18:52:19 pm »
Sher, it sure can be hard to recreate those favorite foods in forms he will tollerate.  Maybe it is better to not mess with those foods.  I remember reading that even the change of oil in the product can be sensed by some kids.  So, maybe it is really about finding new foods that he will eat rather than messing with the ones he currently eats.  What do you think about that?  I know you have bent over backwards while standing on one foot to move forward.  Any ideas from the ot on how to proceed. 

Quote (selected)
Do you then have to specially find sal-free vitamin-mineral supplements to make up the nutritional difference
  I have seen some suggested in RPAH book, but I can't remember what they are, atm.  I will have a peek there.  I don't know if they are available here.  I have bought several varieties from the natural food store, but then end up not using them b/c I think I can see a difference in behavior.  I did use Kindervital for a bit; Eloys was using it.  But it does have things that would be salicylate. 

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 04:00:36 am »
some new great links:  esp if you really want to know more about the low chemical diet and how it works, also effects on babies and also how to do the food challenges:

Babies and intolerance
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet/babies.aspx

Amine rules – how to buy and eat meats
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet/minimising-amines.aspx

Allergy versus intolerance
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/allergy-versus-intolerance.aspx

How to do food challenges
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet.aspx

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 05:52:06 am »
So interesting . . . what are you guys doing for meat?  That part of it is the hardest for me to wrap my brain around.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 10:35:37 am »
I find the meats really tricky too  :P

I eat alot of (tasty) meat patties of mixed chicken/veal/beef mince mixed up with finely shopped shallots, diced carrot, celery, parsley, leek, 1 garlic clove, cooked rice and egg replacer.  I thne coat it all really well in rice crumbs and pan fry.  That way the crumbs get browned and not the meat. 

I also eat roast lamb and don't eat the juices or the yummy charred outside bits.  Same for roast chicken.  I roast all sorts of cuts so they are just brown/cooked on the outside but not charred KWIM. It is recommended to add water to the pan - yuck! the meat goes grey  :(

Also make simple stir fries, just make sure that the meat doesn't get browned and more cooks in the juices of the stock in the stir fry. 

I make poached homemade sausages in stock, they are tasty too without browning the meat.    Just can't eat aged scotch fillet anymore or anything with a yummy BBQ flavour  :( 

Fish is easy, fish can be crumbed, steamed with some shallots for flavour or pan fried quickly.   I also eat a fair bit of calamari - shallow fried in potato starch batter - it goes nice and crispy, and also make veal spring rolls - they can be pan fried without worrying about the meat part. Fresh oysters are allowed too.

Buying meats is easy now as I go to same butchers that I trust, they know me and my wierd diet  ::)   But I have fond that most butchers when questioned all comply to the rules for hanging, freshness and storage, most don't put preservatives in their mince either.  Its just the supermarket meats that don't comply.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 11:21:19 am »
Oooh, I've passed along that info to a friend of mine with symptoms that she and her docs can't sort out.

I totally did not know that about supermarket meat. I mean I figured it wasn't slaughtered in the back of the supermarket fresh, and i know that some aging can tenderize meat nicely, but EWWWW, that is a LONG time to keep meat! And ROUTINELY!!! I can't imagine why more people aren't sickened n the States! :o :X

Oooh, I did try that yogurt in the link below - no need to add the powdered milk and it came out SOO SOOO SOOOOO thick and creamy!

'm trying to work out the difference in that list between yogurt and probiotic yogurt. As long as there are active cultures I thought they were all probiotics, but I guess some of the commercial ones have other cultures added. Live and learn.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:25:28 am by deb »

hrk

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 12:28:50 pm »
I am a meatless eater, so I don't miss meat.  ;-)  H wouldn't eat meat for the longest time, as it would sit in his mouth for about a half hr.  I make my own walnut burgers, but of course that is a problem if you are no nut or egg or dairy.  It has all of those.  I replace with beans for about everything.  We did buy some grass fed beef from a local farmer.  I am not sure on how long until it is processed.  I think we are going to buy in Oct again, so dh will ask how long until it is processed. 

The yogurt sounds good.  I need to peek back at the link.  I saw a yogurt making machine at a garage sale and passed it up.  Did you need something like that?

Multivitamins suggested for children by RPAH: Pediatric Seravit and Orthoplex Children's Formula.  One is high in calcium, the other low with other vitamins.  I would look online to see what you need. 

Here are ones that are children/adult, but you need to use 1/4 a tab for up to a year in age, half tab for ages 1-7, and ages 7-14 on tablet; adults one tablet.  I don't know if I would do it unless I checked w/ the dr, but here are the brand names:
Amcal One-aDay
Cenovis Multivitamin and Minerals
Natures Own Multivitamin & Minerals
Vitaminorum
Herron Multi Vitamin
Myadec Capsules
Blackmores Multivitamin

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 13:30:07 pm »
I heat my yogurt in a dutch oven on the stovetop and put the milk and yogurt starter in big glass jars and keep them next to my fridge covered in a towel for a few hours. (My fridge is old and inefficient and is a heat source. ::))