Author Topic: Looks like Milk AND Soy Are Out...  (Read 1378 times)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:25 am »
Just a quick update,since everyone was so helpful when I was starting to figure this all out. DS is now 4 1/2 mos old and I've been dairy free since July 23 (had been eliminating dairy since a few weeks before that,but there was a frosting incident that day involving butter...). Had seen quite a bit of improvement (blood in stools was the only sign we had) but still would have days with blood. :( So I finally went ahead and dropped soy as well at the start of the month and IT WORKED! (knock wood) I probably should have done it sooner but since there were good days, I thought it was just the dairy leaving our systems. So, do babies outgrow the soy intolerance, or is he likely stuck with that?

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Looks like Milk AND Soy Are Out...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:10:25 am »
That's great news!!  I'm so happy that you were able to get to the root of your problems!  I don't have any BTDT with MSPI, but I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions.  I just know how hard to worked to try to figure everything out, and I'm thrilled for you and your little man ;D :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline pinkism

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • who needs milk anyway?!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:05:01 am »
Great news you know what the problem is...not so great it's milk AND soy. Hopefully your LO will be a different baby soon :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 14:52:50 pm »
((((hugs)))) So happy that you've figured it out!!!!!

My dd2 had a huge soy intolerance, and she completely outgrew it.  I started giving her trace soy around 17 months, and full on soy around 18 months and she's fine with it.  I waited longer than usual because I was still nursing her until 17 months, but I add soy back to my diet around 12/13 months with no problem. 

I would think you could trial around 12/13 months, and chances are it will be ok!

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 20:24:55 pm »
Thank you all! Scarlett's Mom, good to know that your daughter outgrew the soy intolerance. Sometimes I wonder if he might just have a soy intolerance, not milk, but that is probably a crazy notion since I've never heard of it with anyone else. :) It's just that dropping soy seems to have really cleared things up! We are lucky that he has never seemed to really be bothered by any of it, no symptoms other than the blood (never really even had mucous). Fingers crossed that this all continues.

Offline JMac31

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 04:09:51 am »
That's great you figured it out! I think I have to follow in your footsteps... sigh! I have dropped dairy but dd still gets mucousy stools. She's the same age as your son. :) I was avoiding it because soy is in EVERYTHING!! What do you typically eat in a day? :)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:15 am »
Soy did knock out a few more things, mostly hamburger/hotdog rolls and some snack foods. I usually eat oatmeal, sometimes bacon, chili, baked potatoes, Fritos (ah, this is not really a health food diet for me), whole grain pasta (we buy a kind with no soy or milk products in it) with a sauce that is clear of those ingredients too), bananas, apples, other fruits. The tough part is picking up something for lunch or dinner, although we have a Qdoba and it is possible to get a burrito (pork, their other meats have dairy) for dinner that is fine. We also have a local bakery that has a few breads that have neither dairy nor soy, so I eat that with peanut butter (one brand is clean) and jam. :)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:14:49 am »
I learned some great cooking tips when we cut dairy and soy for a while, got pretty darned good at scratch cooking. :) The slow cooker became my friend, as did making big batches and keeping leftovers. Easy to roast a chicken or a beef roast and use the leftovers in sandwiches or just pick at them or make a soup or stew too. It's also astonishing how much less money we spend cooking from scratch and basically avoiding processed foods pretty much altogether. We have a couple brands of bread we buy - our major food ingredients to avoid these days are high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors - but otherwise it's straight-up meat and grains with the odd pasta and veg - some frozen, some fresh, some from the garden.