Author Topic: Use a hungrier baby milk???  (Read 1720 times)

Offline mommyArnold

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Evie 19/9/05 Owen 7/11/10
Use a hungrier baby milk???
« on: December 03, 2010, 19:56:22 pm »
Im just wondering if any of you ladies have used cow and gate milk for your LO's, my LO is on cow and gate and im just wonering if i could use the step 2 (for hungrier babys) at night? would it help him last longer between feeds? Just a thought...
Evie 19/9/05 Owen 7/11/10

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 20:18:10 pm »
Hi.  Just wondering what prompts you to consider using special formula?  How old is your LO? 

Offline mommyArnold

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Use a hungrier baby milk???
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 20:34:16 pm »
Hes 4 weeks old, im considering it only he will go 3 hours easy in the day but night time i feed a DF at 10pm and he will wake at 12am and then 2am, 4am.. i have tryed to get him back to sleep but seems only satisfied if i feed him. Ive also tryed to give more milk in the day but he will only take 4oz each feed, i do cluster and a DF. so i thought maybe a hungrier baby milk might satisfe him at night time?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 20:54:29 pm »
Personally I wouldn't. Hungry baby milk is really intended for holding off weaning for babies who are taking in large amounts of formula. It is made to be harder to digest than first milk so for a baby as small as yours it could cause digestive issues which could cause more night wakings that you are getting now.

I know it's really hard when you aren't getting sleep but he will go longer between feeds soon. Do you use a dummy/paci with him? If he can go 3 hours between feeds you could try offering a dummy to see if he just needs to suck to settle rather than needing a feed. As he is so little don't be afraid to feed before 3 hours if he is giving hungry signs, that may also get a few more oz in him. If you are still on the first size teat you could also try the next size up or a vari-flow teat to see if he will drink a bit more. How much are you offering in a bottle at the moment - is he draining them?

Laura

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 20:58:30 pm »
Oh I feel for you.  Has this been happening for a while or just the last few days?  It can be a growth spurt.  During the night, does he take a full feed or just snack a bit?  Babies like to suckle for comfort, does he have a pacifier?

Offline mommyArnold

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 21:00:07 pm »
I do use a dummy for him, i have tryed using the dummy at night he wont have none of it, he drinks 3oz in the day i always put 4oz in the bottle though incase he wants more. I am still using 1st size teat tho so i will try using the 2nd one. Its just confuising as to why he wants feeding so often at night but lasts longer in the day! Do you think i could try the milk or do you think it will cause tummy upsets.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 21:16:19 pm »
It's really up to you - my HV advised me to stay away from hungry baby milks when DS was small. These milks are really designed for older babies who are draining large bottles and your LO is taking an amount of milk that is totally normal for his age. His tummy is only the size of his fist so it really doesn't hold much at the moment, the HB milk won't give him any more calories it will only fill his tummy for longer. These first months are pretty much back to back growth spurts and he nees all those calories.

If he is not showing any digestive issues on the milk he is on now I wouldn't want to mess with that. We also always suggest that you speak to your Dr or HV before you change their milk.

Laura

Offline mommyArnold

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 21:22:13 pm »
thank you for your advice, i will continue to feed when he wake and hopfully he will last longer streches soon :)

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 22:02:47 pm »
I only started using it when DS was 3.5 months.  Are there health visitors or anywhere you could consult?  I agree with Laura that if he's really hungry then he would take more and more, or it wouldn't happen only at night.  My boy was downing 8oz in no more than 7 mins and was ok for 3 hrs and got shorter and shorter, and then we supplemented only 1 bottle per day.  

Is he also taking 3oz at night?  

typed all this and forgot to click "post".  i agree with Laura, to check with the doc first.