Author Topic: Naps getting shorter  (Read 1107 times)

Offline belliesmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:20 am »
My 5 month DD has been on 3h EASY for a couple of months. I have tried to move her to 4h, but she seems to still want feeding every 3 h (she is breast fed, apart from a formula feed at 6.30 before bed - I was expressing for this, but she wanted 9oz and I couldn't keep up). Over the past couple of weeks her naps have gone to pot. Usually she only managed 45 mins 1st nap, 45 mins at lunch (I can extend this to 1.5h using HTTJ, but I have been doing this for at least 6 weeks, with no sign of her being able to get through the 1st sleep cycle herself), and 30 mins last nap. Generally she seems happy after each nap - as soon as I come into the room she is all smiles. Now her naps are max 35 mins and some even as short as 20 mins. I have tried to put her back to sleep for these very short naps, but am pretty unsuccessful - usually 40 mins of trying results in an extra 10 min sleep. I don't use PU/PD as I don't get on with it. She goes to sleep quite well with me patting and singing to her - maybe 5-10 mins, mostly peaceful and occasionally a little mantra crying, but less than 1 min of this. Night time sleeps are good (improved since I switched to formula for the bedtime feed). I DF at 10.30 ish (she is usually waiting for me!), then through to 7am mostly (sometimes she wakes between 3-4, when she does this I feed her). During the day her activity time is around 1h45, but I tend to go with her sleepy cues (she starts to whinge and rubs her eyes).

Any ideas on what I can do to help her nap longer?

Offline mamatolevi

• Naps
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Re: Naps getting shorter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 21:23:39 pm »
Hi there! Things sound a little rough right now, let's see if we can figure it out! When is the last time you increased A time? 45 min naps usually mean UT (undertired) but the 30 min nap at the end of the day indicates she is overtired (OT) from the short naps all day. Hope that makes sense! Here are a few links for you to check out:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164029.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=120362.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0
I know it's a lot of information, but have a read through...I'm sure you'll be surprised at how much you can relate!
When you get a chance, feel free you post your routine in EAS format, so we can have a closer look.
Hope that helps!
Nikki
Nikki

Offline belliesmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:46:20 am »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm going to try and increase the A time a little today. Problem is that I was religiously sticking to 1h45 A for quite a while when I probably should have increased it a bit a month ago. She has never done more than 45 min lunchtime nap (without HHTJ), but she did used to do a 1.5h morning nap when she was swaddled. Once we de-swaddled her, the 1.5 morning nap disappeared forever. Plus our routine has completely gone to pot over the last 2 weeks because of Christmas. So I am going to start afresh today. She has just had a 1h55 A time (asleep at the 1h55 mark), and I stayed with her when she stirred after 20 mins. Fingers crossed, so far she is still asleep - 50 mins....

Offline mamatolevi

• Naps
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Re: Naps getting shorter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 16:42:36 pm »
That's great! Fingers crossed for you :)
Nikki