Author Topic: Tongue Thrust Reflex at 8 months  (Read 18136 times)

Offline L76

• Thanks
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: January 26, 2011, 22:56:43 pm »
Ok so has anyone else experienced this?

Surely it should have gone by now? He's been on solids exactly 3 months and still hardly eats a thing. What I do get it gets pushed out a lot by his tongue reflex.

Should I be worried? Any suggestions?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 00:22:39 am »
I don't think you should be worried yet.  Some babies are really slow to get going with it.  Are you doing purees or finger foods?  I think he'd do better with finger foods as he'll be able to control and figure it out on his own, kwim?  Keep trying, he's bound to get it one of these days!! 

FWIW, F was really slow to get going with solids, he really didn't show any interest until around 8mos and only now is he actually eating proper amounts of it!  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 21:25:07 pm »
We are doing both Martina. But it is the purees that he eats then some gets pushed back out.

He's really struggling at the moment. Point blank refusal of everything. As soon as you approach with the spoon, he turns his head away and cries. Finger food he picks up plays with then drops. Not interested at all. Not really eaten anything since last Monday.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 21:39:20 pm »
TBH, I would abandon the spoon altogether.  I think it is a lost cause and continuing might put him off eating altogether.  I know he isn't doing much with finger foods, but I think it's a better approach for him.  No pressure, you know?

Most babies will start refusing the spoon by 9mos anyway.  Here's a link if you haven't seen it already:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

I know it's stressful when they don't eat.  Is he gaining ok otherwise?  How's the milk going?  I know you've had issues with milk feeds too. 

(((hugs)))
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Tongue Thrust Reflex at 8 months
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 21:58:53 pm »
(((hugs))) Leanne I have a similar thread (Martina helped me too :)) DD is a bit younger but we have very similar issues, she'll barely touch finger food but she IS hungry so I often find myself making her laugh so I can sneak a spoonful of baby rice in ::) Martina has made me feel much better about relaxing about it and how she is still so young to really get going on solids.

Can I just ask, what finger foods are good to try? DD out and out refuses to touch toast ::) She will nibble on a biscuit but I'd rather not encourage that too much :P Sorry Leanne hope you don't mind me asking and that it might help you too xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 21:59:02 pm »
Hi hun, this is going to sound really stupid... but it works for us so will share. When C won't take her food off a spoon she will
usually take it off other food, so fingers of cheese, sticks of cucumber or celery, toast fingers, etc. I dip them in her purees and she will often eat the puree off the sticks of food but not a spoon! She does often want to take the food herself and then we end up with a right mess but it gets her to eat it. Also sometimes if I give her a spoon of her own in each hand to practise with it keeps her busy and she will eat from me feeding her then. If you haven't tried that already it might be worth a go.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 22:01:29 pm »
Agree with Martina  :-*.

When J wasn't eating (and at 8 mths he certainly wasn't) he ended up under the feeding team at the hospital and all they every really said was food play. Plenty of food play to breed comfort and familiarity and one day they will eat. Avoid excessive milk so there is some appetite left (but not to cut it at this stage). Loads of different textures and experiences.

Jacob was closer to 12 mths before he really ate anything, and he was never really spoon fed. He just learnt to feed himself sloppy stuff at an early age. We taught him how to dip bread into soups et. To get some veggies in. He was about 12 mths then - refuses now as a stroppy toddler of course  ::).

He always just clamped his mouth and turned his head.

Isn't he puking though Hun? He might just not want it in there if he feels sick (whether that is viral ro the reflux changing form)

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 22:04:26 pm »
Charli my LO loves banana, steamed brocolli and carrots and also really ripe fruit slices like pear or mango. Oh and also avocado, she loves that! And cheese as I said above. I just cut them to about the size of your thumb so she can grip them and put them into her mouth herself. I just make sure they are soft enough to be easily 'gummed' as she still has no teeth. lol HTHs.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 22:41:11 pm »
Anything can be a good finger food!  ;) 

F isn't big on toast.  Sometimes he'll go for it but I think he finds it boring.  Bagels are a little more popular.

There's not much I don't give, TBH.  So instead of rattling off what I give Charli, if you want just ask what you think is ok and we can say yes or no!  ;)

Leanne, he may just not be eating much now because he's been vomiting and teething.  Hopefully his appetite will return soon.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:02 am »
Hey ladies

Managed to get him to take some porridge this morning which was good. Still spilling out of his mouth - about a third of each spoonful that goes in.

I do give him finger food with each meal. Rice cakes, toast, fruit, veg fingers, pasta pieces - anything really. But he's been off them too so no doubt the teething and vomiting. I can just about feel a rough patch on his gums when he lets me get near them!!!

I've not tried avocado - will have to get some. DD loved cheese but we are trialling dairy free so can't give it to DS.

Playing is a good idea Liz but his idea of playing at the moment is simply chucking it on the floor  ::)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:49 am »
Have you tried just one or two pieces? Some kids throw if there is too many - they lose focus  ::). Even if he is lobbing it he is still experiencing texture through touch.

Foods spills out of Ms mouth as well. Didn't occur to me to be worried about it really.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 14:31:13 pm »
Leanne maybe try mashing the avocado in with banana too! Sounds horrid but C absolutely LOVES it. But she will eat any sweet stuff until it is coming out of her ears though... it is savoury we struggle with. She has got Mummy's sweet tooth I think. :P

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 15:43:20 pm »
We used to do avocado with banana or pear for T as well. 

Agree with Liz, one or two pieces if often a better approach, and throwing is still playing!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 20:28:25 pm »
I tend to only give one piece at a time but he still enjoys throwing it! Boys eh!

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 17:20:37 pm »
OMG, this is driving me to distraction. He WILL NOT eat a thing. Now just over a week and hardly a mouthful has been taken. It was tough getting him to take some before, but seriously, this is impossible. No purees no finger food, nothing. He will not entertain anything.

Can teething really stop them eating altogether?
He is so grumpy when I sit him in the chair to eat - I don't know if its because he hates eating, or teeth, or wind or ... well could be anything.... he is beyond me.

I think I am so exhausted from being up with him every night for three hours or so that I have lost sight of any resemblance of normality during the day!

I've tried everything today. Porridge, pear puree, pear pieces, rice cakes, toast, steamed carrots, steamed courgettes, peas, broccoli, you name it, I've tried it.  :'(

Please tell me this will end?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 17:22:44 pm by Leanne76 »