Author Topic: What time to introduce solids?  (Read 1068 times)

AliG

What time to introduce solids?
« on: February 12, 2011, 20:52:24 pm »
Hello,

I am starting to wean my 5.5month old but I'm confused by the conflicting advice around. For example, Annabel Karmel says to introduce solids at the lunchtime feed (e.g. 2/2.30ish) whereas other people say to do so at the mid morning feed (e.g. 11ish). Confused! When to do it?

My son currently eats at: 7.15/7.30, 10.45, 2.15, snack at 5.45, bedtime bottle 7pm and DF 10.30pm.

Is the ultimate aim three meals, so breakast 7.30, lunch midday and dinner 5/5.30pm with milk in between?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks hugely.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 00:39:54 am »
Hi there :)

There is no right or wrong.  One good reason to do it earlier in the day is that if your LO has a reaction to it, he has more time before bedtime to recover.  I think the most important thing is to do it at a time when he is well rested and in a good mood.

One book I recently read said just to make sure there is at least 5hrs from the introduction of new foods until bedtime to watch for reactions.

I would say 11ish is a good time to offer new foods.  Your LO will not be too full from a big morning milk feed, and will hopefully be happy and well rested from his am nap.  It also gives lots of time afterwards to see how he does with the new foods.

Start with breakfast for a few weeks and then you can try adding solids at other times of the day.  There is no rush to get to 3 meals, you can go at yours and your baby's pace.  Most LO's will be on a good 3 solids meals anywhere between 7-9mos depending on when they started and how well they've taken to it.  A lot will depend on your baby.

Also, 'meals' are really an adult thing.  There is really no set way that you must offer food to your LO.  The best way to look at it at this point, is that milk feeds are still the most important 'meals'.  So think of milk feeds as the E part of EASY, and solids as part of the A time.  Solids before a year are for fun and exploration, but milk is still the primary source of nutrition.

HTH, good luck!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: What time to introduce solids?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 02:48:08 am »
I second Martina's suggestions.  My DD2 is closing in on 5.5 mo as well and just started on solids last week.  At this point I feed her only once or twice a day, depending on how timing works out, and no more than 1 small jar of stage 1 baby food.  She is still getting 6 bottles a day (she takes 1 of those at her NW).  I am not even thinking in terms of feeding her 3 times a day for at least 1-2 months. 

I feed her solids around 11 am after her first nap and then again around 5:30 after she wakes from her catnap (in an attempt to get her to go longer in the night before waking).

Like Martina says, I consider solids at this point just part of her "A" time.