Author Topic: Picky eater - experimentation vs wasting food  (Read 1027 times)

Offline zoeselina

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • ZoeSelina.com
Picky eater - experimentation vs wasting food
« on: February 13, 2011, 13:08:46 pm »
Hi all,

I have a bit of a picky eater who at last has started to let me spoon feed her, but is quite particular about which foods she will eat. I want to get her to try a range of foods, but when she does her scrunchy face I know that's it for that food for at least that meal. I don't have a problem with throwing away the last scraps in a bowl, but after only one or two spoonfuls, it seems a bit wasteful.

So is it okay to put a bowl of baby food back in the fridge once it's been heated and stirred (and possibly tasted)? And how long can you keep it for? Also, how many times do you introduce a new food that has gotten a bad reaction before you accept it as one they just don't like? I'm so scared to put her off food by giving her stuff she doesn't like, since she took so long to start eating in the first place.
Zoë

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Picky eater - experimentation vs wasting food
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 13:43:46 pm »
If the food has been heated and tasted it needs to be thrown - you shouldn't re-heat a second time and any bacteria from the spoon that has been in her mouth would be introduced into the food. If it's a new food I would only offer a tiny bit at first with other foods you know she will eat and then offer a bit more next time. I kept home cooked food (an jars) for for a max of 48 hours in the fridge (probably 2-3 months in the freezer) in a sealed container and always reheat to hot and let it cool.

I don't think you will put her off food if you don't force her to eat things she is telling you she doesn't like. Offer a bit to taste and leave it if she rejects it. Or you can mix a small amount of a new flavour into an accepted flavour and gradually add more of the new while reducing the old so she gets used to the flavour.  It can take a lot of exposure to new things for them to get to like it!

It is hard though, some things they eat really well one meal they will refuse to eat the next day - the amount of lovingly cooked meal I have thrown out is frightening ::). Another thought is have you considered going the baby led weaning route - maybe she would be better feeding herself?

Laura

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 14:50:07 pm »
I agree with Laura, used food can't be saved and reheated.  Try preparing only a little bit and then if she wants more you can always heat up a bit more for her.

Babies don't really know their likes and dislikes yet.  Just because she doesn't like something now doesn't mean she won't like it later.  So just stop it for now but try again at a later time.

:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 15:09:12 pm »
As she is almost 9mo now you could try giving her bits of food off your plate to try as finger food. It doesn't need to all be mush she can gum or just suck on lots of softish foods. That way she can try lots of different foods without you having to specifically prepare them and throw them if she doesn't like it.
Have you looked into Baby Led Weaning? Here is a link to a good support thread if you think it might be for you.
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=184657.0
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 15:09:52 pm »
I think Zoe has already been with us on the BLW support thread.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline zoeselina

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • ZoeSelina.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 17:37:51 pm »
Yep, already on that one. :D

I agree with all of you... I guess I'm just a bit of a wuss and hate to hear my baby screaming while I heat up another little bit and another little bit. She gets quite frustrated at me. :P

So far she'll pretty much only eat orange spoon-foods (ie those based on carrot, sweet potato or tomato). She makes her scrunchy face at anything white (like yoghurt, cereal and pasta carbonara) and refuses them repeatedly. She's a funny one. But she loves eating her own avocado, bread, carrot and broccoli.

I think I might have to try as Laura suggests, and blend new foods with old ones.
Zoë