Author Topic: Not sure what to do ,,,,,,, help needed  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Jen114

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Not sure what to do ,,,,,,, help needed
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:42:06 am »
About 2 weeks ago my ds turned 5 months old and really seemed ready to eat.... he was moving his mouth all over the place extremely interested... i started him on baby rice and he loved it..then carrot .. then sweet potato....

the confusing part is this week he doesnt want to eat at all.. pushing his tougne out i cant get his mouth open.. maybe 3 or 4 tiny baby spoons of food are going in..

what should i do?? stop feeding for now?? dunno what to do>>>

isnt milk the most imp meal? he is breast fed so always breast feed before feeding the solids.. this is the right thing todo isnt it?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Not sure what to do ,,,,,,, help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:56:10 am »
Yes, milk before solids is the right thing to offer.

You can keep offering if you like, but if he doesn't want to eat then don't force him.  It's not all that uncommon for babies to go through phases of interest.  I think it's more important that you aren't forcing it.  If all he takes are a few little bites then doesn't want anymore, then that's ok.  :)

If he continues to not be interested after 6mos, what about considering Baby Led Weaning? 
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0

You might find this link helpful as well:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182686.0

:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 13:44:41 pm »
Agree with Martina.  Stop for now, and try again in a few days or a week.  Those purees really don't offer much at this point anyway.  Maybe he just hasn't caught onto the texture, or dislikes the spoon.  Consider BLW as Martina points out.

Good luck :)

Offline Jen114

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 16:33:20 pm »
Thank you for advice I hate the idea of forcing as gives bad association with food straight off is my thinking correct?

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 16:52:09 pm »
Well, it certainly gives you a bad association, doesn't it?  TBH, I don't think attempting to feed a 5.5 mo purees he is not interested in is going to land him in therapy for food issues, so cut yourself some slack.  Now, telling a 2 yo he can't get down from the table for an hour until he "cleans his plate", that is another story...

My 3.5 yo has never been really into eating.  To this day, I sit her down, and try several tricks to get her to eat.  I used to worry a lot about this, but by the time she was about 18 mo, I realized she would never starve herself.  Now, she is a small child, who has a small appetite, but is always willing to eat everything (except meat). 

Your LO is very young, younger than many people would advise even starting on solids, so you have plenty of time to experiment with what he likes.  Soon, he will be putting tons of food in his mouth, and then you'll have to clean it all up :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 17:55:24 pm »
I suppose if you think about yourself, you'd probably have bad feelings about food if someone where always trying to put a spoon in your mouth but you didn't want it?  I try to look at it the same way.  But I don't think bad associations are built on one or two experiences when they're so young, so I agree not to stress about it.  It's just one of those things, if she's not interested, try again later.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012