Author Topic: 9 month old still not eating much  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Rachel600

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 09, 2011, 13:34:15 pm »
Hi

I have posted before regarding DD2s eating habits. She refuses purees and will just about eat real food. She is nearly 9 months now and her eating habits havent really changed since 6 months.

She hates going in the highchair and starts fussing, I distract her with a breadstick. She hardly eats any breakfast, she is offered toast, fruit, cheerios, porridge. Then for lunch she is offered a variety of things from veg sticks, chicken, fish, purees (just incase), yoghurt (she eats this and custard!!!), fruit, rice cakes, rusks. She hardly eats a thing. Then she has a breast feed as she needs something. I didnt do it last week and she was awake alot in the night. For tea she does eat a bit more. She is into white bread and dairylea, which Im sure she shouldnt eat but she eats it, so Im sure she needs something. I have started to give her formula in a beaker but she spits it out.

I know sleeping isnt linked to this post but she doesnt sleep well. She can put herself to sleep but once awake in the night she will scream  and scream. I am completely drained, Im sure she must be as well.

The other thing is that she only pooed once a day if that and now she has 5 or 6 poos in one day and they are green.

She has also started crying alot when playing and wants to be picked up all the time. DH isnt being that supportive, I think 9 months of me being tired and a crying baby is taking its toll on us. We now argue all the time. Im just not organised enough, the dinners are horrible (apparently) and whatever he says I dont take in.

Anyway, the problem is DD2 eating and sleeping really, Im sure one day it will be OK but any ideas would be good.

Thankyou xx

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 20:50:26 pm »
(((hugs)))!!!  I'm sorry this is stressful and taking a toll on yours and DH's relationship.  :(

I know sleeping isnt linked to this post but she doesnt sleep well. She can put herself to sleep but once awake in the night she will scream  and scream. I am completely drained, Im sure she must be as well.

The other thing is that she only pooed once a day if that and now she has 5 or 6 poos in one day and they are green.
Does she have any food intolerances?  To me it sounds like the screaming and the poo issue might be linked to something she is eating which is causing her discomfort.  How long have her poos been like this?

Is she teething at all?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Rachel600

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:27:18 am »
She may be teething, she has shown all the signs for ages. Her poos have been like that for over a week. She hardly has eaten this week so not sure what she could be allergic to. She is still having 7 breastfeeds over 24hrs, 4 in the day, 2/3 in the night. i know this is alot but when i reduce day feeds she still doesnt eat and is up more at night.  What should i do? Got to go, potty training going on!!!! with dd1

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 9 month old still not eating much
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 18:49:16 pm »
Hi,

I am sorry you are going through this. Is there any wind at night when she is screaming? How do you settle her? Have these changes been constant for just the last week? If you cast your mind back has anything else happened that may be linked to a food intolerance or allergy??

If it just this last week then it may be teething or a bug. Olly has been off his food for a week now after a little stomach bug.

Offline Rachel600

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:58:28 am »
hi

she has been a bad sleeper/eater for so long now that i just dont know what to do with her. Nothing jumps out re allergies, she has had green poo for 10 days now. She has had a cold which is in its 3rd week.

At night she wont go back to sleep for ages, lastnight she woke at 11, so she had a feed. didnt go back to sleep, so after pickup put down, cuddling, lying on me , then pick up put down, it was 2am and everyone had had enough so another feed was had and then she went to sleep with me, only to wake again at 5 30 and wanted a feed then was up for the day. For the last week I have been unable to put her back in the cot after she has woken in the night, she instantly knows, screams and thrashes around - even after 3 hrs of trying. She puts herself to sleep for naps and at 7pm. I dont even have a plan to get her back to sleep at night anymore as idont know what to do. Im exhausted and my husband reckons its cry it out night tonight.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 17:33:56 pm »
Oh I'm so sorry you're going through this :( Big {{{HUGS}}}

It does sound like she's in discomfort. Has she been checked for reflux? Have YOU been eating anything different in the last month?

No amount of sleep training will help her (or you) if she's in any discomfort. I can personally attest to that. My twins had undiagnosed reflux until 14 months when we had them medicated for it. I tried every sleep training method in the book (including ones where they cried on their own) with disasterous results. I'm still in the process of regaining the trust that was lost from it and it's a HUGE regret of mine. I've seen it's negative effects and if I could help anyone in any way from not letting their baby cry I would. It breaks the trust that your lo has in you as she needs you. That's why CIO is not condoned on this site. There are much more gentle methods, but I think you have a discomfort issue that needs to be sorted out first.

I'm so sorry your dh isn't a great help in this. We will be as much support for you as we can if you let us. Please don't leave her to cry. She's telling you she needs you.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 18:45:26 pm »
Olly would wake at around 10pmish when he was suffering with his allergies. He would be awake for about 2 hours in discomfort. Please do not let her cry it out. She could be in pain and distress. As pp says it could be reflux. Or it could be food allergies or intolerances.

Have you posted over in the EASY board about your routine? Could she be UT/OT? Would be good to rule that out and then think about reasons.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 18:54:42 pm »
Hi Rachel!  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

If she has had a cold for several weeks, that could certainly have something to do with her lack of appetite, although I know you've mentioned she has never eaten much solids.

I agree with pps that CIO is really not a good option, particularly if she is in some kind of pain.  It will likely cause more problems. 

I do somehow think the lack of interest in eating and the NWings could very well be related.  Also, I know you said she doesn't eat much, but she could be reacting to something that you are eating that is getting into your breastmilk and irritating her that way.  I do wonder if she has had some undiagnosed intolerances.  Babies are surprisingly intuitive and often will naturally avoid foods that they are intolerant or allergic to.  Have you spoken to her doctor recently about some of your concerns, be it eating or sleeping, or the poo issues?

I know you've posted here on the solids boards looking for advice on how to get her to start eating more, but I suspect the root of the problem may not be related directly to solids.  In the meantime, as frustrating as it is that she is not eating much, keep offering as you are doing.  Try not to stress if she is not eating much solids.  If we can get to the bottom of why she is not interested, then she will start eating more.  Make sure she is getting enough milk. 

If you suspect that she might be intolerant to something, or if you have more questions, I suggest you post on the food allergies board:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=62.0

Have you started any posts about her sleep on any of the sleep boards?

(((hugs))), we'll keep trying to figure out what's going on with you.  :-*
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Rachel600

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 20:30:34 pm »
Hi

Definately wont be letting her CIO, have thought about it all day and watched her alot and know that there is something wrong, Im going to go to the docs next week and try to work out what the problem is. My diet hasnt really changed but will watch what I eat and see if there is any effect.

Thanks for your support as it has definately made me even more determined not to let her CIO. I dont want to do it, but when exhausted you sometimes wonder what to do next and some people do ask me if Ive tried it. Anyway, I will definately find out more about allergies. Fingers crossed for a good nights sleep!!!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 20:56:05 pm »
(((hugs))), My DS2 is a horrible sleeper and has never really sttn.  So I feel your pain.  We'll be here to help you through it.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010