Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
What would you do?
« on: March 09, 2011, 16:35:31 pm »
C is 9 months and is still recovering from a nasty GI virus. He has had vomiting and diarrhea since Friday.  The past couple of days have improved, yet come evening, he is sick again.  I have just come from the doc, who said that his belly is distended and is wondering if he is now backed up, since the diarrhea has stopped and wants me to offer fiber rather than laxative foods.  He suggested I give yogurt and broths to get more liquid stuff in his diet.  The problem is, we haven't done dairy yet, as I am trying to stay away from it due to possible MSPI.  He is on a HAF.  I have coconut yogurt though, since his brother eats it.  However, C hasn't had that either.  Would you feel comfortable giving a new food to a baby who is still recovering?  I really don't, but the doc said "he should be fine."  The other thing he suggested is chicken broth.  Again, he has only had turkey, so I could give him turkey stock.  But he hasn't had celery.  Do I offer it anyway?

He has already had a pear, which normally has a laxative effect.  So it is not like I am without options of foods.
Kara

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 17:43:26 pm »
Will he drink just plain water to get fluids in him?  Why don't you try what you know works first, ie pears etc., and then you can move on to trying new things.  It might buy you some time for him to feel better, then you might feel better about introducing new foods.

I'm not sure though.  If it were me I'd probably try at least one of the new things (only one though), but my boys don't really have sensitive tummies.   :-\
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 18:05:38 pm »
Thanks Martina.  This has been such a mess. :(  I tried pears and we will see what happens.  He is holding liquids down *today*.  But that has been how it has gone for the past couple of days and then he has thrown it up.  
Kara

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 18:06:25 pm »
(((hugs))), Poor little guy.  :(  Hope this blows over soon for you guys.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012