Author Topic: Starting solid soon and need some advice on feeding routine  (Read 1298 times)

Offline ACsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Starting solid soon and need some advice on feeding routine
« on: March 14, 2011, 21:21:04 pm »
My boys is 5 months + 2 weeks and I have been planning his solid feeds and hoping to start in the next couple of weeks.

Currently on 4 hour EASY, I understand solids should be given after milk feed as part of activity and I am going to follow this routine:
7am - Milk
8am - Solids
11am - Milk
12pm - Solids
3pm - Milk
4/4.30pm - Solids
6.30pm - Milk

My question is, how is our normal day life fit into 7 feeds a day routine? At the moment we are out almost everyday around 10.30/11.30am for couple of hours (baby play group/supermarket shopping etc) Where possible I would feed him first at home at 11am before we go out, as he doesn't drink well when he's distracted. However, I don't see how this is going to work if I were to feed solid an hour later without affecting his nap time unless I feed both milk & solid out, which seems like a lot of prep work - play group not so bad but taking all the milk and food out to supermarket just seems too much!?

Can't help but getting stressed out about it so any advice would be great! Thanks.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Starting solid soon and need some advice on feeding routine
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 00:55:22 am »
Hi there!! 

I think it helps to remember that you can stay very relaxed about solids.  First of all, you are not likely to have him on 3 meals a day right away.  It often takes several weeks to work up to 3 meals.  During that time, his A time will likely get longer as well, so you will find you have more time to fit solids in around outings.

Secondly, most of the time you can come up with something to take with you.  I would usually aim to do milk feeds at home where there is less distraction, but take some kind of solids out with us if I felt the boys needed it.

Last, if you have to move a meal around or even skip a solids meal, it's not the end of the world.  Remember the clock means nothing to babies, and they have no conception of 'set' meal times.  The approach I take to solids is to fit it in when it works, but not stress about it if things have to change for a day. 

You will quickly figure out what works for your and your LO.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ACsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:28:37 am »
Thanks for your reply Martina.

Is it bad to feed jar baby food when we are out and about? Do you still need to warm it up?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 14:01:54 pm »
No, it's not bad at all!  You don't have to warm it up, although some LOs prefer it warm.  But if your LO is ok eating cold baby food, then it's actually easier because then you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to heat it!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012