Author Topic: Jars and sachets  (Read 1805 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Jars and sachets
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:50 am »
DD is ready, ready, ready to start solids. Its going to be a logistical nightmare. We are moving in a week, our entire house is packed apart from basics and the new house wont even have a cooker for the forst few days!

I've been putting it off, she's been ready for a couple of weeks now and I have upped her BF but she is just ready and I cant put it off any longer.

I'm going to have to give her sachets at first. Was thinking Ella's kitchen and those Plum ones as they are probably nearest to home cooked. I am just worried that she will get a preference for 'ready made' food over home cooked. Is this likely?

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
Re: Jars and sachets
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:45 am »
Ella's kitchen and those Plum

That what I used (use) with Lewis and he'd quite happily take home cooked food as well.  They're nothing like jars and he wouldn't touch a jar, although I can't say I blame him as they are pretty minging!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:23 am »
I really wouldn't worry about her developing a preference, she's not likely to eat a huge amount in the first week :)
Mashed bananas are a great one for fresh, really easy food that can be prepared instantly :)

xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:36:47 am »
I used those ones too...

I fed a mix of ready-mades and homemades with both, never had an issue. Jars are handy at the beginning when doing single foods.

Here they're much more common than at home or in UK. Emma was a gourmet and only accepted Hipp organic or real food....so we moved to real food very quick as the Hipp organic dinners were hefty on the budget. I still keep a few spag bols or the rigatonis in the kitchen cupboard for going to the childminders though, even now, and she loves and eats absolutely EVERYTHING and always has.

Hope the move goes well and good luck with the first tastes!!!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:40:06 am »
hipp organic first single puree's really are like hand cooked. They dont have that strange sandy texture, and no preservatives or anything to make it weird. The ingredients list is practically non existent, and tesco/asda tend to have them on a 10 for £3 deal!

I did a mix of these with home cooked and DS got on fine switching between (apart from potato and green bean. yuk!)
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:58:03 am »
We've used Ellas kitchen while traveling and they have been fine. I agree with pps, don't think it will be a prob. You could also, if you have time, cook up a bunch of purees and freeze then in ice cube trays now, then once frozen pop them into freezer bags. Then on moving day send those over to the new house first and put them in the freezer straight away...you can thaw them out and because they are already cooked you don't need to reheat them...or you can use a microwave if you have one at the new place. Mashed ripe pears is another good one to start with that doesn't need any cooking.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:55:35 pm »
You could also, if you have time, cook up a bunch of purees and freeze then in ice cube trays now, then once frozen pop them into freezer bags. Then on moving day send those over to the new house first and put them in the freezer straight away...

We are moving almost 600 miles away so not an option! It takes 10 hours plus to get there by car. Plus the fact that in my desperate need to be organised all non-essential items like the blender are packed. Damn me and my incessant need to be oganised!  ;)

I just gave her some Ella's Kitchen. The carrot, parsnip and apple and she LOVED it. Only had about 3 teaspoon but would have had more I think! She has already ha some baby porridge at the weekend when we are at IL's as I was feeling pressured as she was apparantley 'starving.'  ::) She has not done a poop since and now I'm worried it has clogged her up. She only had a small amount and didn't think much of it.

I didn't realise you could get single purees. All the Ella's Kitchen seem to be mixed up stuff iykwim. Well in my Tesco anyways.

Offline Chicane

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:16:16 am »
Hey Emma - yeah so no, freezing is not an option at the moment!

Has she still not done a poo? If you can find a pear puree that can e very good at softening poo...fruits generally help poo. I think its quite normal at the start for this to happen, it doesn't necessarily mean she is constipated but maybe stick to fruits for a few days...?

x

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:08:28 am »
 Oh the poo came yesterday and it was a stonker! Had to throw out the babygro she was wearing!

So whats the deal with the BF bub starting solids and the poo situation? She has been known to go days without one as BF bubs do but how does it tend to go when solids are intro'd? Can I expect even less frequency or more? How would I know if she was constipated?  ???

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:49 am »
They will usually get more regular once the solids get going properly. It is hard to work out when they are constipated or not TBH.

Add me to the list of Mamas who use sachets etc. I use fruit pots too. Meg will go between home cooked and the sachets no issue really, although we are hitting the spoon refusal phase anyway now  ::) :P.

Offline Chicane

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:42 am »
we had days and days between poos when EBF took a while for things to get regular now we get one a day. My doc says constipation is not the lack of poo its when the poo is hard work or painful to get out and comes out like really hard little rabbit poo...thats what he says is constipation...poo and food...well, its a funny thing - we had some bread with seeds in it the other day - had it before with no problem, then a day later got what i call a code red poo (change of clothes) and there were whole seeds in it...so, what can I say...interesting times.