Author Topic: Spoon feeding strike?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline jlisenby19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 24, 2011, 13:28:16 pm »
Hi everybody -

My DD turned 9 mos old yesterday.  Starting last week, she is refusing to let me spoon feed her.  She loves to eat finger foods, but will not take rice/oatmeal cereals or purees unless I sneak it...even then, once she realizes what I've done, she turns her head away from me. 

Is this normal?  She is cutting two teeth on  top, so I know she has gone through some distress lately.  In fact, she is now trying to "nurse" herself to sleep for her second nap, which is becoming a real issue. It has been really tough for me as a first time mom, trying to deny a baby who stands in her crib crying "mamamamamamama!!!!!" refusing to nap unless I nurse :( 

Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Jolie

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 13:48:07 pm »
Yep, very normal.  Here is a helpful link:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0
Now is a good age to start offering more finger foods instead of the spoon.

Teething is an appetite buster as well.  As for the nursing to sleep, if you don't want it to become a problem then I wouldn't let her do it, but if you find the comfort is important and you are prepared to deal with it if it becomes an issue, then do it as you see fit.  Just remember that her desire to nurse to sleep for that nap might be a temporary glitch, but if you start the habit now you will have to work on weaning it again once whatever is bothering her passes.

:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline jlisenby19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 15:28:23 pm »
Thanks Martina...
I let her do it for a week as I thought it was because of the teething....silly me.  It already is a problem.  I'll have to work on it again.

I know this isn't the right categorical forum, but napping has really becoming an issue.  She used to go down without a fight. Now, even when she's exhausted, she cries and cries, trying to get me to nurse her to sleep.  And she's the type of baby that, once in your arms, you can't put her down w/o waking her.  That was a problem in the very beginning.

And thanks for the link on spoon feeding...I really appreciate it.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 15:50:35 pm »
If you want advice on how to stop feeding to sleep specifically then I suggest maybe posting on the props board.  If you want to get back on track since teething has start, then maybe check out the Getting Back on Track board.  :)

Good luck with the finger foods!!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline jlisenby19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 15:59:46 pm »
Thank you again!