Author Topic: BLW and purees  (Read 2099 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
BLW and purees
« on: March 26, 2011, 13:53:25 pm »
 Dylan is now almost 6 months. We started solids this week as she was more than ready and she's taken to it great. Doesn't really like baby porridge so not giving breakfast yet but she is having 2-3 tsp for 'lunch.'

I'm quite into the thought of BLW. Just a couple of q's. Is it ok to mix BLW and purees? And also do you just pretty much offer them what you are having for dinner,lunch etc? ( of course it will be healthy and salt free!) We were having dinner last night and she was in the high chair eyeing up the garlic bread and I really wanted to give her some but DH didn't think it was a sensible idea.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 15:11:59 pm »
Yep, do a little of both or whatever suits you and D!  I did both with T, and would have done both with F if he had taken the spoon!   ::)  I just gave F anything we were having, making sure it was appropriate for him and the right size.  It took him a long time to get interested, but with BLW it's all about the exposure and experience.  ;)  Come join us on the BLW support thread if you like!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: BLW and purees
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 15:15:05 pm »
We did mainly purees but gave Murray some "normal" things too - I can't remember now what we gave him but sure you will find lots of sources of information on what to give.  Murray did choke now and again but nothing major - only once did I lift him out the chair and tilt him to dislodge it (but probably didn't need to!).  I think it gives them the best of both worlds!

ps. I assume you have moved south now? If so, hope it went smoothly :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 15:25:47 pm »
 Not yet Lucy. Thursday is the big move.  :D

So for example we are having spaghetti and sauce for dinner tonight. Thats surely not suitable right? Or is it?  ??? Does it have to be solid like food that she can hold like a carrot baton type shape or something?

Sorry for sounding so daft.  :-[

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 15:34:10 pm »
You could slap a big helping of spaghetti on her tray and let her decide what to do with it!

Some moms find carrots tricky.  If they're too soft they bite off big mushy chunks but can't do anything with it.  If they're raw they're good for gumming and sucking, but not good if they bite off a big hard piece.  Cooked al dente probably works best.  It has to be several inches long so she can hold on to it with her hand and suck on it, since babies don't yet know how to open their hands to get food into their mouths.

Offer long spear sized pieces or really big chunks that she can palm and scrape pieces off of.  Avoid choking size (ie a whole grape).  Once she masters her pincer grasp (7mos for both of mine) you can offer small pieces, cheerios, etc. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 15:35:15 pm »
I would worry about the spaghetti getting stuck in her throat (but I only gave Murray spaghetti recently!!!) - I read a BLW book once and on the cover the baby had a brocolli spear, so that is what I gave Murray first!  

This site may be useful and has link to the book I read too:
http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Good luck with the move! Hope it goes smoothly.  When we are down visiting the in-laws we could maybe meet up or another time you are up here? :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 16:49:30 pm »
We did a combo of both with both kids and it worked great for us. DD has more puree because we started her earlier, but by 5/5.5 months she was picking things up and getting them to her mouth. We did the spears of things like carrot and bit of broccoli and toast was good once she was 6 months. She took a piece of pizza crust off DH's plate when no-one was looking at a restaurant one day and had a lovely time. We gave her bits of garlic bread and naan bread when we had it from 6 months, they really don't eat much but have fun trying! We kept pasta for 6 months too because of the gluten and she had fusili first and then spaghetti when she was better at picking things up.

My favourite thing to give at restaurants was peas and sweetcorn - keeps them busy for ages trying to pick it up!

Laura

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 17:23:09 pm »
I too was weary but I am SO in to it  now :)
DD also refuses the spoon so I have no choice really!
She eats everything from hummus to guacamoles, tomatos, she had a full pear today, the sausages from 'the famous sausage recipe' and 2 strawberries! oh and a full handfulls of mashed potatoes.
When giving her a yogurt I dip the spoon and give her the spoon, she won't open her mouth for me but will for her!
Cucumber is another good one to start with  - after the first week or so DD stopped the gagging - now she only does it every so often!

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 18:18:55 pm »
We did a combo of both too - but mainly the purees I gave I just made into a sauce iyswim.  So to make sure he was getting a variety of veg I would sometimes make something like butternut squash and cheese puree/sauce and then mix it with some pasta, or he would dip bread in it or I would spread it on toast.  This was useful for times when we were having a dinner which was less baby friendly - I couldn't think of things for every night that he could eat with us. 

So for example we are having spaghetti and sauce for dinner tonight. Thats surely not suitable right? Or is it?  ???
http://www.babyledweaning.com/gallery/

I love some of the pictures on here of kids eating spaghetti bolognaise...reminds me of when we were weaning Ben - so much fun  ;D!  It is more difficult for them to eat some foods, but as long as they're safe then really it just gives them a different experience rather than everything being chip shaped!  My health visitor was amazed at Ben's pincer grip etc at 8 months, and I'm sure it was just because he'd practiced with lots of peas/sweetcorn/different shaped foods!

Claire x