Author Topic: Cant get DS to drink anything but milk ???...help ??? He has Diareeoha !!  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Kalou1972

• Miller's mummy
  • New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
SO hes aminly been BF...but has taken a bottle since he was 8 wks old.

WE are weaning at the mo and its going well ( well as well as it can go !)...but.....Miller cant seem tio drink anything cold !

I do try him with a beaker ...which is fine....e kinda just plays with it and lets it drop into his mouth

but...i do want him to take water as we are now finishing BFing !

When i try and give him either wather or juice out his bottle he just chews the teat to get it ti squirt a bit in his mouth !!

How can i get him to suck it like he does his milk ???

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
I think it just takes some time for babies to get the hang of drinking other kinds of fluids.  I would keep the bottle for milk and offer water in a beaker or try different kinds of sippy cups.  He might drink more out of an open cup with some help.  It took my DS1 closer to a year to figure out how to drink out of a sippy.  Don't get discouraged!  He is still quite young, just keep trying.  I would avoid offering juice though.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
try different cup, using a straw, a "normal" plastic cup,etc until you find what works!  Murray only drinks water and is happy with it = my friend's LO drank water too until she was given juice and now only will drink juice (my theory is that if they don't know any better they will take what they know!).  You can get a filter jug and leave it out at room temperature so you don't have the coldness factor ....

Your title says that he has diarrhoea - if so, breastmilk is probably best for him to keep him hydrated.  When Murray was ill he would have more breastmilk then revert back to cows milk and water once he was better.  Also if you go to the chemist they can prescribe the rehydration sachets without going to the doctor ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Ditto to what other posters have said. Continue giving milk....as long as he stays hydrated somehow that is best. But juice can make diarrhea worse as it has a lot of sugar.

I also agree, if they don't know about juice they won't want juice and there really isn't anything nutritionally important in providing them with juice that they wouldn't get from fruits/veggies when you do solid foods. Breastmilk or formula is the most important foods for them for the first year anyway. If you felt he was dehydrated you could try to give water on an open spoon even or w/ help from you in an open cup. But breastmilk should be all he needs.

Oddly enough, my DD has been exposed to juice and chocolate milk and dislikes chocolate milk! She does request juice most often but I can deter her to milk and water if need be so I am thankful for that!

Offline Kalou1972

• Miller's mummy
  • New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks ladies x