Author Topic: Have to switch DD's thickener. Need advice about possible reactions.  (Read 1516 times)

Offline lesliemarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
DD is MSPI intolerant, actually the allergist said it is a mild allergy.  She has reflux as well.  She has been on Nutramigen since about 5 weeks and now at 6 months the pead wants to try Neocate.  She is also on a thickener for her formula to help the reflux.  Since starting to really thicken her feeds the reflux seems better but her tummy is really bothering her.  She has terrible gas pains that keep her uncomfortable all night.  The thickener we were using was simply thick which is made from water and xanthan gum.  The allergist said it could be bothering her and to stop it.  So now we're a little stuck.  I'm having to research thickeners that are dairy and soy free and aren't based on xanthan gum.  I've come across two (Kingsmill Quick Thick and Thick and Clear).  The Quick Thick is made from modified corn starch and maltodextrin and the Thik and Clear is made from cellulose gum and dextrin.  I'm just wondering if anyone's LO has had to use any of these and if so if there has been a reaction.  Any help would be appreciated.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Have to switch DD's thickener. Need advice about possible reactions.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:50 am »
If you don't get a reply from here in a day or so I will move to food allergies board  :)

Just a thought, I remember that simply thick had a synthetic preservative as an ingredient?  You could be looking at reaction to the build up of chemical.

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
Re: Have to switch DD's thickener. Need advice about possible reactions.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:31:31 am »
I had the same problem when I was just using plan xanthan gum.  I bought just the xanthan gum from the bulk food store and mixed it with the formula directly.  She was gassy on both :(

I'm trying the modified corn startch and maltodextrin one today.  I tried for her bedtime bottle and it didn't mix well (I tried to shake it) so she was having none of it.  She drank the one with no thickener no problem though.  I've just tried it with plain water and it thickened up well and wasn't gritty.  The only problem I can see is that I don't know if I can thicken it in advance or if I'm going to be mucking around with it in the middle of the night while she is screaming in her room.  ::)  Oh well.  We'll just find out tonight I guess.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine