Author Topic: no longer eating veg  (Read 1735 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
no longer eating veg
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:35:03 am »
Ok I'll start from the beginning... We started weaning around 5.5mo with rice cereal and expressed breastmilk at first, but since DS got really unsettled after that we stopped rice cereal for a few weeks and introduced fruit and veg instead, one new food every 3 days at 'breakfast', which is 1h after the first milk feed of the day. We only did breakfast for the first 2/3 weeks so always went back to foods previously introduced before going onto the next one, so he'd remember them. He was taking breakfast well so we introduced 'dinner' 1h after the 3rd breastfeed and did familiar foods then, with the new ones still at breakfast. About 2 weeks after introducing dinner he got a nasty cold and went off his milk and solids. He's now got his appetite back but won't eat veggies! Since I'm trying to introduce more veggies these come in the morning, but I tried green beans two days running and he refused to eat any at all, then potato the next 2 days and he didn't eat any of that either...

I'm trying not to worry if he doesn't eat breakfast as I can always feed him something he enjoys (ie fruit!) for dinner - but that means he's only getting one meal a day and it's only fruit (sometimes with some rice mixed in). Not sure if I should just carry on doing that or try and offer veggies for dinner even if that means he actually eats no solids at all that day? I tried mixing the potato with pear (which he loves) this morning but he still wasn't having it... I was going to introduce lunch once breakfast and dinner were being taken well, but this isn't happening... also I guess I'm reluctant to start lunch before his A times get a little longer, since we go out after his 2nd feed and this would be more difficult if he was also having solids as there wouldn't be much time before his next nap.

The foods we've introduced so far, in this order, were: (rice) pears, sweet potato, apple, carrot, banana, peas, rice (mixed with fruit), peach - then failed with green beans and potato. He used to take the veggies ok, but takes hardly anything now... should I just persist with them anyway, do you think, or stick with fruit for dinner whilst he's not taking his breakfast? TIA!

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
Re: no longer eating veg
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:56:24 am »
Hi love

As a mum of a child who would not eat ANYTHING until 12 months I can totally sympathise with you. And I can categorically say, don't sweat it. At this stage eating is only about taste, texture and new experiences. He is still getting all his nutrition from his milk feeds and that's the way it should be. My son is now 18 months and has only just started to like potato and green beans even though I have tried these foods several times previously. No one knows how personal taste is developed but they sure are born with their own personalities, likes and dislikes. I would continue with the way you are doing things, keep offering a variety of veg and fruit, make a little less if you are sick of wasting stuff, and dig deep to find all your patience cause let me tell you it can take a loooong time to get solids happening. Even with the time it took us i can happily say that I think my son is now a really good eater. And even when he is happily eating lots of different things one day he is going to turn around and refuse to eat something that until that day was his favourite thing...go figure. Its hard not to worry about intake and nutrition as its only now with hindsight that I realise i worried unnecessarily, they will eat, and they will eat only when they are ready.

hope this helps allay your worries

xo

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:08:30 pm »
I agree with pp, try not to stress about it now.  I think too, pureed veg is kinda gross.  :P  But once you can start introducing finger foods, your LO will probably enjoy them more.  Would you rather slurp liquid broccoli, or eat a nice broccoli floret?  ;)  I think you can keep trying with the purees but don't worry so much if he's not that into them at the moment.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »
Ok thanks that's really reassuring! I guess my remaining question is just whether to let him skip a solid meal if he doesn't like what's on offer, or offer an alternative? Also if he doesn't eat his 'breakfast' whether to give him something for 'dinner' that I know he'll enjoy or to keep offering veg that he probably won't eat either?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 19:25:28 pm »
Maybe try having two things to offer, something he likes and something new.  That way he'll have something to eat at each meal.  But I wouldn't go preparing a bunch of different alternatives.  I think two different things is plenty.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:46:17 pm »
Ok thanks will try... problem is he was eating carrot, peas and sweet potato well, but now he won't touch them - so it's all a guessing game, but I guess that's not uncommon! So you don't think there should be too much danger at this stage of him thinking that he doesn't have to eat veg at all as he'll always be offered fruit afterwards anyway? Or do most LOs just surprise you one day by eating the thing you've been unsuccessfully trying to encourage them to eat for ages?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 13:00:32 pm »
Personally I'd offer the veg (perhaps mixed with a spoonful of pear) at whichever meal he tends to eat best/most at. And if he doesn't take any, then no alternative. It's not like he's going to be losing out on loads of calories by skipping a couple of spoonfuls of fruit/veg, and at this age it's all about tastes and textures more than about nutrition.

FWIW, my LO was never that keen on veggies by themselves, but would gobble them down when they were in combos a la Annabel Karmel ie butternut squash/pear, leek/sweet potato/pea, carrot/apple

Offline trimbler

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 13:14:08 pm »
Maybe I should buy the book!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 13:25:27 pm »
It is a good book - but there are loads of free recipes on her website too.

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 15:00:11 pm »
we had great success with avocado and pear mixed...I think that was an Annabel Karmel combo too...but really, you can do your own mixing...carrot and apple worked well too...