Author Topic: She's finding her fingers!!!!! :) UPDATE! Amazing turn-around! :)  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Krunchie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
After WEEKS of trying to shove her fingers and thumbs into her mouth and failing miserably, DD has finally got some consistency!

She's 13weeks today.

Today she settled herself for 3 naps by sucking on her 2 middle fingers!! I also managed to extend 2 of the naps from 35mins, to 1hr by shhhing and jiggling her bum whilst she sucked on her fingers!

This is real progress! I was hoping she's find her thumb, but fingers will do!!

Quick question, does anyone else's LO suck fingers instead of thumb? And do you find it soothes them as well as a thumb? My DS sucked his thumb so I have no experience of fingers!

I NEARLY got her down for the night without a dummy due to this development, but for some reason she can't calm herself enough at night to suck on her fingers contentedly. I'm hoping this will come with time as we have serious prop issues with the dummy.

K.xx

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:56:33 am by Krunchie »

Offline AvasMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 20:32:32 pm »
Yep totally normal. DD insists on sucking the same two fingers (I don't think she knows her thumb is there)...sometimes so much she gives herself little blisters?!? Strange child! Congratulations your LO now has perfected her preferred method of self soothing :)

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: She's finding her fingers!!!!! :)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 20:43:25 pm »
I've got two thumb suckers out of my three but have friends with fingers suckers.  I love it when they find their thumb/fingers! 

Offline Krunchie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 20:50:16 pm »
Thanks guys  ;D

I really hope today wasn't just a fluke. It wouldn't be would it? She sucked them for 3 naps straight and they were still in her mouth when I woke her from her catnap.

Is it about the right time developmentally?

I'm torturing myself with scenarios of it never happening again. I really need this to be her self-soothing breakthrough as I want to take away the dummy at night asap. Do you think I should give her another week or so of getting used to her fingers before I do this?

K.xx

Offline Krunchie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 20:52:03 pm »
I should say, she doesn't have the dummy at all during the day, only at night.

K.x

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
Re: She's finding her fingers!!!!! :)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 20:52:55 pm »
I guess if you take the dummy away then she'll likely replace it with her fingers.  Maybe give it a go and see what happens but have the dummy on stand by at first incase it's needed!

Offline Krunchie

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: She's finding her fingers!!!!! :) UPDATE!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:55:47 am »
She's just gone down for her 1st nap of the day with NO crying, and is still asleep 1h10mins later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Previously she only manages 35 mins to the second!

She went down sucking on her fingers!!!

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! It was so worth the weeks of waiting, but now I think she can self soothe!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

K.xx

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
Re: She's finding her fingers!!!!! :) UPDATE! Amazing turn-around! :)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:48:03 am »
 ;D

Great news! Now she's 'got it' you'll find she's ok  :)

DS started out sucking his thumb but now prefers two fingers - he made the choice himself at about 5mo, having been a thumb sucker from about 3mo. Recently the fingers drop out of his mouth when he's deeply asleep and he's staying asleep, so he's using them just to self-soothe rather than all the time  :)

Offline Krunchie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 13:51:27 pm »
That's interesting. I always thought thumbs were the digit of choice, but it seems that a lot of LOs use their fingers instead.

With my DD it's almost like her arms aren't long enough to get to her thumbs! Or maybe she just doesn't have the coordination yet.

We went to the park today and normally I would be walking about with her in the sling the whole time to try and get her asleep. I didn't use it at all! We took the pram and when she got tired I put her in it and walked her around a bit and she found her fingers and went to sleep! OK she only slept deeply for about 40 mins but she then drifted in and out for the next 20mins and didn't cry at all. It's amazing!

I feel like a new person!

Now let's hope the nights follow!

K.xx

Offline AvasMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 19:56:06 pm »
YAY! You've got to love those little fingers! DD has now found her toes today and hasn't quite worked out yet that she can't get to them in a sleeping bag so she spends the first part of her nap trying :)

Offline Krunchie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:30:58 am »
YAY! You've got to love those little fingers! DD has now found her toes today and hasn't quite worked out yet that she can't get to them in a sleeping bag so she spends the first part of her nap trying :)

Ahhhh! Bless her!

xx

Offline ~firstimemommy~

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 15:15:44 pm »
I know I sucked my two middle fingers with my palm facing out. DD hasn't decided which fingers are her favorite yet. Yesterday she was using her middle finger and thumb with her index finger pointing to her nose, the day before that she was doing like I did. She only does it while awake though :( When she's trying to self soothe she tries to shove her whole fist in her mouth...

Offline JoanneEnlander

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 16:59:02 pm »
Oh... My 12 week old is trying his best to suck on his fist when he wakes (we will also try to get rid of his night time dummy soon) but the fist just does not give him the sucking relief he needs :) I am hoping with time he'll find his thumb or fingers so I do need to do the dummy game when he wakes in the night! I also hope it helps him with naps! You have given me hope! :)