Author Topic: Can anyone figure this out?  (Read 899 times)

Offline newmum22

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 10, 2011, 18:41:56 pm »
Hi there. We have a 8.5 month old DS and his naps are just awful. First nap is 40 min long, 2nd nap is 30 min (every time!), and then he definitely needs a third catnap to make it to his bedtime at 7pm. I've been keeping A times between 2.5 to 2.75. Later in the day he can do 3hrs. I thought that things got off because of teething, and some other milestones (crawling: more like scooting on belly), but he hasn't had a good nap in over 2 months! Is this normal? He goes down independently, but wakes at the above times every time. If I go in and try to extend the nap somehow, forget it. The nap is over. Sometimes I wait to see if he'll put himself back to sleep...nope. The thing is that he KNOWS how to go back to sleep on his own but he just doesn't do it. I can't figure it out and the poor thing is extremely fussy all day long. It's agony for everyone.

For bed time, he goes to sleep at 7pm. (Won't sleep earlier than that, later than that results in NWs), and STTN to 5:30am. I nurse him at 5:30 when he wakes because he's definitely hungry, and then he's up for the day. I'm wondering if the early waking makes him tired the rest of the day. Maybe he needs more night time sleep and that would help his napping? I'm totally out of ideas, so if you have any, please help!

Thanks!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 19:57:20 pm »
I think he is UT.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64158.msg476652

8 - 10 months 3 - 4 hours. Some are getting more.

I would extend his A time even 15 minutes every few days until he is at least at 3 hours if not 3.15.  I think the reason he can't go back to sleep is he is just not tired enough. 

HTH x

Offline newmum22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 23:16:32 pm »
Ok. 3 or 3.15...I'm definitely going to try this by increasing gradually. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 22:44:12 pm »
Welcome!! Hope it helps x

Offline newmum22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 19:25:30 pm »
Ok, moving to 3 hours in the morning did help get him from 40 min to about an hour. I can't quite get him to 3.15 yet, but we're working on it. Now the 2nd nap is a disaster every day. He never sleeps more than 20-30 minutes. Everyone is frustrated, especially our little guy. He's just cranky and fussy the rest of the day. (Forget going anywhere in the afternoon...he SCREAMS and SCREAMS in the carseat from being OT). This has been going on for almost 2 months now. I don't know why he can't take an afternoon nap! Help!