Author Topic: Just being greedy?!?  (Read 727 times)

Offline AvasMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:17:05 pm »
Hi! I have read Tracey's book but often she seems to refer to solid food with reference to ounces of milk intake....which would be fine except I BF so I have no idea how much liquid she has. We've just started out on solids (DD is 5.5 months) and I have been giving DD 3 cubes of puree twice a day as HV recommended (breakfast and dinner) but after the food is finished she cries?!? I can only think that she wants more food but how can you tell if they're actually still hungry or just being greedy? Our ice cube trays are really shallow so maybe I do need to give her an extra cube?!? I'm just worried if I offer her more i'm going to over feed her as for all I know she'll just keep eating until she bursts!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 18:16:31 pm »
Hi there :)

Obviously with breastfeeding it's impossible to measure oz, so you have to use your instinct to know if LO is getting enough.  On a 4hr EASY and LO will be getting 4 milk feeds a day.  A breastfed baby will probably still be having 1-2 at night as well.  So if your LO is feeding 4-6x day for the normal amount of time, then that's likely enough milk.

What you don't want is for her to start drinking less milk because she is full on solids, so that is something to keep an eye on.  It sounds like what you are offering right now is enough and I don't think you need to offer more, but like so many things it is very individual.  So if you find she is still drinking enough milk and would like a bit more solids, you could try offering more and see how it goes.  For 5.5mos she is doing quite well already so there is no need to rush to higher quantities just yet.

Remember to use your mommy instinct, you know her best.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012