Author Topic: Need serious help breaking a bad habit! Today was a disaster :(  (Read 1184 times)

Offline jlb24

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My LO is 7 weeks and today was my first day trying EASY.  It was a disaster!  ALL DAY I spent trying to put him down in his crib...he'd cry, I'd try patting him and sh-ing, but he screamed louder.  Then I"d pick him up, pat and sh, he'd fall asleep in my arms, I'd put him in crib, and he'd start crying again.  Then I decided to try putting him down in the cosleeper that is attached to our bed since that is what he is used to sleeping in at night, but it made no difference.  Total, LO had 3-20 min. naps.

My dilemma is this...besides today, LO is used to napping in the Baby Bjorn.  It became a daily thing...whenever he showed signs of being tired, I'd put him in there and he'd be out. 

Where should I go from here?  Today was horrible and he got no sleep.  Should I somehow wean him out of the bjorn?  And if so, what do you think I should do?  I'm dreading tomorrow. 

Offline mrsg5507

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Need serious help breaking a bad habit! Today was a disaster :(
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:52 am »
Try putting him down before he is asleep but not crying anymore.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 21:41:03 pm »
7 week is still very young.  I would aim for one nap a day in the crib and then let him nap in the sling to avoid OT.  I would probably get him very very sleepy in my arms then put him down and ssh him to sleep and then gradually as the days go on work on putting him down more and more awake.  Especially as he is getting himself so upset xx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 21:44:04 pm by Shiv52 »

Offline jlb24

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 21:43:30 pm »
Great idea!  Thank you :)

Offline Krunchie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:34:11 am »
Hiya,

my DD had ALL her daytime naps in the sling from 6weeks to 12weeks. I have only just started tackling putting her in the crib. It's taken 2 weeks but we're getting there.

I prob wouldn't worry at your LOs age. If it works then carry on. I know it is very tiring and claustrophobic, believe me, I've been there!

You'll find once your LO gets to at least 3months they will be better at soothing themselves, maybe tackle the naps then? Mine has just started sucking her fingers which has helped.

Don't get me wrong, she still has a fair few naps in the sling, but nowhere near as many as previously.

K.xx

Offline jlb24

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 20:58:36 pm »
Thanks Krunchie!!  I think he is definitely too young still to self sooth and force the crib on him yet.  Do you still follow the EASY routine, just do naps in the sling though?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:01 am »
In the early weeks I did naps either in her chair in the living room, sling, holding her or cot.  We still followed A time and EAS but for me it was more important the nap happened than where it was.  Throughout the week I did aim for some naps in her cot and letting her self settle if she could but otherwise I went with the flow. 

HTH x