Author Topic: she LOVES solids  (Read 1152 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
she LOVES solids
« on: April 13, 2011, 21:08:41 pm »
Love, love, loves them. I swear she'd drop her milk in a flash. I've had to quit BLW as she's such a guzzler she just bites and swallows HUGE chunks. Had 2 incidents when she was choking and she had to have her back thumped. She was sticking entire heads of broccoli in her mouth! I was just too petrified to continue.

So the general consensus seems to be to feed them as much as they want but what if they would eat all day? I'm worried about filling her up on solids too much as she was already not too fussed for the breast anyways.

She's also having constipation bouts and really, really bad and painful gas which is meaning lots of NW.  :(

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 21:15:06 pm »
Oh my God I think she is Rosa's twin.  I started BLW and had a choking incident on banana and one on toast! But i think its all part of the learning process.  we're also having lots of constipation issues and wind too.  We have never not had NWs so no change there though!!

Rosa loves solids too!  She cried last night when we were having dinner as she wasn't eating and i gave her garlic bread and I've never seen a smile like it and it goes straight to her mouth. 

I tend to offer 1/2 large ice cubes of food and some finger food and leave it at that.  She will stop eating sometimes before its done but others she'll finish the lot.  But she does seem to know when she's had enough and am sure D will too.   

I think just offer 45 minutes or so after her milk and let her decide how much she wants and just monitor her milk intake.  Maeve was always a greedy guts for solids too.   Are you going to mush then rather than BLW? 

Offline ~Emma~

Re: she LOVES solids
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 18:00:56 pm »
 I have stopped BLW. I cant be chilled about it after seeing her choke like that, she almost went blue and couldn't breathe. It was awful. I'm just going to do what stresses me out less!

She is loving the food though. She's just really filling up on it.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 18:27:01 pm »
DO you think that could be affecting her sleep?  Filling up on the solids and then not getting enough milk so she's actually hungry sooner? 

So hard to know isn't it?

How many times a day are you giving solids now?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 19:39:26 pm »
 3 times a day Shiv. Crazy I know. I tried to cut back but she is just sooooo tetchy at teatime and its food she wants. I tried offering the breast instead but she doesn't want it. I have tried offering the breast just before dinner too, about 4ish and she still wants solids when we are eating. Honestly its crazy how much she loves it.

Thing is too that she still has a full 8oz's before bed despite when she has had the solids plus all all her other milk feeds in the day.

I actually managed to resettle her for the usual 1.30ish wake ans she went right throught til 5 after that when I fed her.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 20:28:16 pm »
If shes still taking her milk feeds then i really would try not to worry. Thinking back Maeve had a huge appetite for solids and it never affected her milk.

We're still only doing 1-2 meals a day. But I do think she'd take more.

What all is D eating? Are you making your own food?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 21:12:20 pm »
 Home made mostly. Just the usual really. Lots of pears, intro'd weetabox today, some squash, carrots, apple. All the usual really but because she eats so much its hard to keep up with making lots of different stuff!

SHe was in bed for 5.30pm tonight.  :o Loooooong day. Early doors tomorrow!  :)

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 21:20:02 pm »
sounds like Emma's twin....

Emma took to solids so so well...

by 7.5 mths we dropped the 11am milk feed (so 7, 3,7 and DF milk) and she ate SOOOOO much at lunchtime (still does, my gosh, she can eat....). I also dropped the milk feed with Oscar at this age but in his case it was to encourage him to eat more...in Emma's as I went back to work at 7 mths I figured I'd get away without pumping in this way, as I was home for 3-3.30 pm every day.

never had NWings or constipation issues....carrots were our staple in the early days. I do remember Oscar's choking incident on some toast and it really freaked me. Emma's been a much better eater (of solids of course) since the beginning.

can't believe your girlies are eating toast....time is flying!

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 21:41:47 pm »
I agree if it isn't affecting her milk intake let her eat what she wants. If it does start to mean she is taking less milk I would limit it for a while though. I found around this age Cadan did start cutting his milk so I halved the amount of solids he was having for 2 weeks and it went back up. I was then able to increase the solids again with no effect on his milk that time. I think his little body just needed to catch up with his appetite.
I also found that if I only offered one type of food at each meal he ate less before he didn't want anymore. Variety definitely means they will eat more before they're sated.
Great that she is taking to the solids foods well
And...is she really 6mo already???
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011