Author Topic: introducing textures  (Read 2607 times)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
introducing textures
« on: April 14, 2011, 15:17:08 pm »
DS is almost 8 months & I'm trying to introduce texture into his food very gradually but he gags & actually vomits if anything remotely lumpy goes in his mouth.  Its been a real battle to even get him to eat readybrek!  We are doing purees and finger foods but a lot of them make him gag too.
I've tried the tiny pasta shapes but he spits them out & rice (vomited) - if anyone's got any tips that'd be much appreciated.

thanks.x

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 17:45:00 pm »
I personally feel the best way to explore textures is to let baby feed himself.  Finger foods is the best way to do this, but even letting him get his hands into a bowl of lumpy food and play with it, and maybe put it in his own mouth is a good way to try too.  I think babies learn to handle texture better when they are allowed to experiment and have control, and try it at their own pace.

With his purees, do you make them?  If you make purees with a hand blender then you have a lot of control over the consistency, so you can try experimenting with different consistencies to see what he likes.

But overall I think letting him keep trying finger foods will be the best way.   8mos is still pretty early, I think you will find he gets the hang of it soon.  :)

Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
Re: introducing textures
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 19:50:53 pm »
I think you may be right.  He LOVES his purees, but not anything lumpy.  Yet he will happily munch on a rice cake or organic biscuit.  I will try your suggestion to let him play with his food more - he's been grabbing the bowl while I feed him & I do let him touch but maybe I should give him a bit more control.

I do make all his purees & use a hand blender - I did the last batch more textured & this is what made him vomit!!!!!  Tonight I've made another batch, and this time I've chopped 1/4 in the food processor & hand blended 3/4 so it is a little textured but predominantly smooth.  Fingers crossed he'll eat it like this.  Its not very easy to go purely with BLW in our house - as his meals are often served earlier than ours due to him EW.

Thanks for the advice.xx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 19:56:55 pm »
No problem!  I think it's harder to manage texture off a spoon, but easier when they're doing the biting and chewing themselves, kwim?  Good luck!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 19:46:09 pm »
He's still refusing his all purees & has been grabbing the spoon to prevent me from putting it in his mouth, even with chilled fruit puree on it (which is usually a sure thing when he's teething).  If I let go of the spoon he turns it upside down & chews the wrong end!

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is definitely him asserting his independence & wanting to feed himself, as the last 2 days I decided to give him smaller pieces of steamed veggies for tea & he wolfed them down & was really pleased with himself.

So looks like all the purees I made last week may go to waste!!!!  BLW here we come!!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 19:52:07 pm »
That's a good thing!  Keep up with the BLW, babies love it!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 18:58:19 pm »
I found pasta was the best for getting my LO to accept lumps.  I used some Farfalline; not specifically for babies just small pasta shapes.  Once I saw the size when they were cooked, I was a bit skeptical that he would eat them but he did.  I let him feed himself some and also spoon fed him some and he loved it.

I've got a few pasta recipes on here which you could try? 

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/01/joy-of-cream-cheese.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/04/chicken-and-tomato-sauce-suitable-for-6.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/01/short-nursing-strikes-and-easy-sauce.html
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline hellybobs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 20:02:35 pm »
I would simply let him tell u when he is ready, I think eating foods lumpy or not is far more important. Continue with finger foods and very gradually make them thicker first then less pureed.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 13:21:17 pm »
Hiya

Thanks for the replies.  We've been doing much more finger foods as he is definitely ready for feeding himself.  And since doing this he has been more accepting of lumpier textures from a spoon too!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 13:29:27 pm »
Great news!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 19:45:52 pm »
Don't throw away all your home made stuff though - spread it on rice cakes or toast for a tasty snack or use as a dipping sauce - great for hand/eye coordination!

Offline hellybobs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:13:30 am »
Great tip rach321