Author Topic: constipated? advice please!  (Read 988 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
constipated? advice please!
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:21:38 am »
Hi, DS has been on solids for a few weeks and occasionally will go 2 days without a BM but then it will be quite runny as usual. However he hasn't had one for three days and the day before it was only a little one so I think he may be constipated - he's also not napping well at all, but he's never been a good napper anyway so hard to tell if it's related, although I just had it suggested on the EASY board that it might be discomfort, so I thought I'd try going down this track first... He has a new food every three days for breakfast, so we just had broccoli with pears (today was day 3), before that he had squash with apple, then with peach. (We find he won't eat veggies any more unless they're mixed with fruit!) So I'm guessing it might have been the squash with apple that's bunged him up? We've been giving him lots of pear, peach and pea for lunch and dinner, although often mixed with baby rice, so we've stopped that for today. He's due his next 'new food' tomorrow, so I'm thinking maybe prunes, probably with pear in case it's too strong by itself. My question is - if he doesn't have a BM today, should we just give him prunes for breakfast, lunch and dinner until he has one? Or only in the morning? I haven't heard that prunes can give bad reactions, but I've only been introducing new foods at breakfast up until now, just in case. He has eczema but I doubt prunes would set that off? He's currently having 5 breast feeds per day, including a dream feed. How many days without a BM before we ought to take him to a doctor? Really hoping he'll have one soon... TIA!

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
Re: constipated? advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54:02 am »
I remember Leo getting terribly constipated - with bananas (and probably the rice) :'( So much so DH actually had to gently ease out the BM with tweezers :o
What I did the following day was just to BF - I didn't give any solids at all. But Leo was only on one solid meal at lunch time then. It worked and he had a clear out!!!! ;)

So you could maybe cut down on the amount of solid food for a while - and offer more BF (he gets all the nutrients he needs from your super BF anyway ;)). And offer apple/pear and prune until the BM is normal again.
It wouldn't hurt to discuss things with your Dr. either

HTHs a little
 :-*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:05:47 am »
Yeh, I'd cut back on the solids for a day or two and just BF instead. Remember that if the poo is soft, it does't matter if it's a few days between movements: it isn't 'constipation' unless the poop itself is hard (sits in the nappy like golf balls rather than gets squashed all over like a normal baby poop).

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 14:13:08 pm »
Ok thanks - if I do offer prunes, do you think we should keep this to breakfast only as it's a new food?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 14:47:16 pm »
I wouldnt hive prunes more than once in the day anyway, so yes breakfast seems like a good idea.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 16:42:29 pm »
Good news - just had a big BM :D Will introduce prunes anyway as it seems like it might be a good idea...