Author Topic: Favorite Dairy Free "Cheese"?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Favorite Dairy Free "Cheese"?
« on: April 29, 2011, 16:43:09 pm »
Found out yesterday that DS has a pretty high intolerance to dairy, especially to whey. Only other "high" reaction seems to be almonds, moderate to peanuts.

He's already not drinking too much milk since I took his bottle away about a month ago so that's easy to sub in with rice milk or oat milk or soy milk. BUT what about cheese? He's a picky eater and LOVES pizza (and I make it at home usually and add in LOTS of chopped veggies) and likes grilled cheese a lot too.

I tried to make him a grilled cheese for lunch today using Earth Balance spread (which we use anyway and like) and soy cheese - veggie slices. BIG fail. Didn't melt very well and must have smelt weird cause he wouldn't even try it.

Best suggestions for cheese both for grilled cheese and pizza? Is Daiya good? Vegan Gourmet? I have easy access to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and little health food stores as well...

TIA!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 18:14:18 pm »
Daiya is probably the best non-dairy cheese i've tried, but to be honest, they're all kind of grody. It's worth a try though!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: Favorite Dairy Free "Cheese"?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 22:12:08 pm »
OK since he tested REALLY well/not reactive to goat's milk and cheese I'm going to go with that for now. Like Pecorino Romano - the Locatelli one I use is sheep's milk. And Trader Joe's apparently sells a shredded goat's milk mozzarella. Will try it out this weekend!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grants

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Mr 'I know exactly what I want!'
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:30:30 am »
Interesting thread Karen. Ds also loves cheese and pizza. I will following this, if you don't mind, to get some ideas. X

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:48:53 am »
I made pizza for the kids today using my normal sauce and chopped veggies and topping with grated goat's milk mozzarella and sheep's milk romano. Came out REALLY good and DS happily ate a whole piece. Hopefully it sits well with him! I also picked up some sliced goat's milk "dutch cheese" today to try for grilled cheese. Interestingly enough my father couldn't tolerate milk as a baby/toddler and was on goat's milk...