Author Topic: When to offer solids?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
When to offer solids?
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:21:54 am »
Quick question if I may?

We started to introduce some veggies/fruits around 2 weeks ago now (a little earlier than 6 mos I know). DD had been EBF until then.

I would like to know about when to offer solids. I know that at this stage we are just giving them a taste etc. I was advised by HV, Sure Start staff on a weaning course and MIL to feed DD off one side, then offer solids and then return her to the other breast. This is what we have been doing. Some days she will practically inhale the puree from the spoon and other days she is a little less fussed (to be expected I guess as we're both learning) but will almost always return to the other breast.

From looking on the boards, I see that most people offer solids 45mins-1 hr after the milk feeds, to bridge between the feeds, I guess as the babies are getting older/hungrier. When should I start to do this? This morning I gave DD a full BF and then tried to offer her a little rice cereal (maybe too soon after the milk but it was as we were having breakfast) and she took a little bit. She is so interested in what we eat and is always trying to steal things from our plates so I would like to move on to BLW maybe with a little bit of purees too once she is 6 mos. We have been giving her some of our food to play with and she has mouthed some and mushed a little broccoli (some of which went down as there were little flecks of it in her BM). She seems to have the idea of biting down on food and chewing but as she is not yet 6mos we aren't going to go finger foods yet. But really I would like her to eat with us even if that means an earlier lunch for me! Hey I'm BFing so always hungry (well that's my excuse anyway!  ;) )

So this morning she has had a BF at 10:50am and I am thinking about offering her lunch 45 mins after it rather than waiting until her next feed (which is obviously going to be nearer 3pm). Is this ok? I am a total worrier and would really appreciate any advivce you can give us! Thanks! :)

*Nicola*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: When to offer solids?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:39:42 am »
I did solids 1hr after a BF - so that he would have a full BF and not be tempted to fill up on solids. At this age they still need to be getting their nutrition from milk, so the full BF is vital.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:02:16 am »
Thanks anna. Just offered it 45 mins after but will try an hour tomorrow. :)

*Nicola*

Offline Khim

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:58 am »
Hi there,

My LO just turned 6 mths and I just started solid with him 2 days ago - started off with rice cereal. My question is when do I offer him solids - I had a look at the 6 mths EASY routine and normally as mention also in the pp that to offer solids 1 hr after milk. My question is by doing so, would that encourage snacking ? and also does that means that they are eating most of the time ? 4 times - milk intake and 3 times for solids? SO they are practically eating 7 times a day !!! Isnt it too much ??

My LO feeds every 4 hrly and I am thinking of giving him only solid once a day at the 11am feed. What I do is to offer him 1 tablespoon for rice cereal and then finish off with his usual 6 oz of milk - I want to gradually reduce the milk intake and offer him full solids during the 11am feed. Is this advisable ? I just dont want a fat boy later :p

Any feedback would be appreciated ! Thanks !

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:26 am »
Don't think of milk and solids as the same thing. At this age, solids is just for 'fun', not real nutrition, just for experiencing new tastes and textures. It's important to do the milk first because you want him to fill up on milk before tasting solids.

Yes, at the beginning it does feel like all you are doing is feeding them - either milk or solids! You don't need to think about reducing his milk intake at all at this point. You will probably find that he does so naturally by himself as he starts to increase his amounts of solids. If not, you can start to gradually reduce one of his milk feeds later (say around 9 months) if he is not eating OK.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »
Agree with Anna. Milk is the most important.

I started off slowly with just solids at lunchtime (after 11am BF) and then breakfasts and will soon move to tea. While they are just learning, I've found my DD is very variable in the amount she will have and there are times when she's more interested to play with the food but that's all part of the fun.

Enjoy weaning. Go with your baby's pace and appetite and have fun! We're loving it. :)

*Nicola*

Offline Khim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 23:03:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies - few more other queries
1) how many times should solid be offered ? I saw some of the routines they offer 2 - 3 times a day (basically breakfast, lunch and dinner) is that recommended?

2) The general rule of thumb says to recommend one new food at one time for at least 3-5 days so does that means that if I am starting off just say with rice cereal, and I am offering it 3 times a day, so I have to give him only rice cereal 3 times a day ? and If I want to start giving him green vegies, I have to wait after 3 days then I can give it together with cereal + green vegies ? Hope this make sense

3) At what stage/age do we give them full solids ?

4) Considering the fact that they eat so little - eg a few teaspoons of apple purée, when you make the apple puree you tend to make it in a bigger batch and do you freeze the remainder of the puree and offer it to your LO later in the day or even the following 2 days ? Does that means that the food is not fresh anymore?

Sorry to bombard you guys with all these questions, just want to make sure I am doing it right the first time ...first time mom here :p

Thanks ! 

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 23:16:37 pm »
When you are starting out, it is ok to offer solids only once a day until you feel your LO is ready to move on to two, and then three meals.  Many LOs are not on 3 meals a day until 7+mos.  A lot will depend on you and your LO.

Yes if you are starting with cereal then do only cereal for 3 days, then introduce the next food for 3 days, etc. 

Not sure what you mean by what age to give them full solids?  Bascially milk is the main nutrition up until a year, and then at that point solids become the focus.  Is that what you meant?

What I used to do when I made babyfood was to freeze it in ice cube trays.  Once frozen pop the cubes into plastic bags.  Most cubes are about 1oz, so then you have babyfood always ready and measured out.  Just take out what you want the night before and leave it in the fridge to defrost.  Babyfood will last up to 3mos in the freezer.  Always discard leftover food after each meal though and don't save it if it's already been used and/or heated.

Hope that helps?  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Khim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 00:05:08 am »
Thanks !! Yes, giving full solids means to replace the solid with milk that is not to give milk for that particular feed and only to give solids, so that happens only when they turn 1 years old?

When you freeze babyfood, would it change the taste and texture ? it will be more watery as it has been freeze?

Also, at this age, do you put your babies onto high chair when feeding them solids even though its so little? Just to instill good table manners - that is when you are eating solids you have to sit and eat in the dinning table?

Thanks again !

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 00:24:15 am »
Yes, after a year solids become the primary source of nutrition, although most babies will start to transition to taking more solids after 9mos.  It is more of a gradual transition rather than a large change, and you will see as your baby grows what works best for them.

Some baby food does tend to get a little water upon defrosting.  I don't think the taste changes so much.  If you like, when you make it don't blend it up too thin.  Then once it's defrosted you can decide whether or not to thin it out a bit.  Personally I never had any issues with freezing and defrosting foods, and when I did purees with DS1 we moved past the thin, watery stage really quickly and the thicker purees held up fine when frozen and defrosted.

I think it's a good practice to put baby in his chair for every meal.  It's also better from a safety point of view that they are seated upright in a proper chair.

Good luck!  Please feel free to start your own thread if you have more questions, of course we are happy to help you through this stage (I remember having lots of questions when I first started out with DS1).  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Khim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 00:35:09 am »
Thank you very much !! These helps a lot ! really appreciate your feedback/replies :)