Author Topic: MPSI - what dairy products may be safe?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
MPSI - what dairy products may be safe?
« on: May 02, 2011, 19:04:46 pm »
DS1 has been on a dairy-free trial for a while now - we have finally figured out that the foods that upset him are soya, carrots, citrus fruits, apples and sometimes tomatoes.  I can tolerate all dairy apart from cow's milk so hoping DS1 is the same .....

We were at the dietician today and she said to start introducing dairy and see how we get on.  Just wondering what dairy is more likely to be fine for him. I am guessing it is MPSI since he can't tolerate soya ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: MPSI - what dairy products may be safe?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 19:51:14 pm »
I *think* that yoghurt and cheese are supposed to be easier to digest than plain milk as they have been processed (high temps??)

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:13:06 am »
Thanks - I can take cows milk once it's heated above 72c and other dairy which I think is when the whey protein is destroyed ... but unsure about the casein part, if/when that is destroyed in other dairy .....

He has had a few spoonfuls of yoghurt today so will wait and see ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:28:28 pm »
Let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed for you x

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:35 am »
Not a good start :( While we were in A+E with Oliver (he is fine - just concerned as was pale and lethargic,probably stomach bug) Murray double over and started screaming!  He did a really solid, hard stool which was really pale in colour.  He did more in the night and another one mid-morning today.  At least he is still doing them even though he is finding them REALLY painful (given him lots of raisins etc to loosen things up).

Will avoid dairy for a while again and start more gently - by introducing foods which contain milk rather than a complete dairy item (should have listened to dietician, but he used to seem fine with yoghurts - suppose it's too much too soon) ....

Although, could be co-incidence as he was sick the other day and now Oliver has been vomiting so maybe it's part of the bug or something!

Kids, eh!!!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:56:07 am »
Oh no poor boy :( My Paed wants me to try DD2 on dairy soon and suggested things that have cooked milk in them such as biscuits...

Good luck :-* xxxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:16:40 am »
My DS seems to be able to tolerate goat's milk/cheese but not cow's milk. Might be worth a try?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:16:39 am »
If yogurt didn't work out, I'd skip dairy entirely for a good couple months. The only exception I can think of is ghee, clarified butter, which has the milk proteins pretty much removed.

When you go back, may want to consider a challenge with goats' milk first, although it's a LOT more expensive than cows' milk.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:49:35 am »
Thanks everyone - will try maybe a small amount in a biscuit etc and see how that goes, and if that isn't a success will leave it a while then try goats milk ....

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:43:30 pm »
Forgot to ask if anyone has experienced/heard of stools becoming very solid and pale when re-introducing food?  Dairy always gave Murray really loose stools so would have expected that to happen when re-introducing ....

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 18:43:52 pm »
Hmm seems a coincidence when you think Oliver has a stomach bug. I would give it a week and try again with some hidden dairy x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 22:19:07 pm »
Matthew gets pale stools like that when he has a virus. Dairy makes him have loose, large greenish stools with undigested food in them (sorry TMI)
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:45:28 am »
Matthew gets pale stools like that when he has a virus. Dairy makes him have loose, large greenish stools with undigested food in them (sorry TMI)
That's really good to know (even though I am reading this eating porridge!!!) - I reckon both boys must have had a virus so hopefully it wasn't dairy related.  Stools better today so will wait a few days and try something containing milk ....

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 14:30:29 pm »
Doh - baby brain!! Forgot that we gave Murray chocolate on Easter Sunday and he was fine with it!!! Hopefully it was a virus that upset him and he will be fine with the dairy - will try to remember to keep you posted  ::)