Author Topic: HV has me confused...  (Read 4667 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: HV has me confused...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 17:16:35 pm »
 I've given up. I am now combo feeding. I know I probably should keep BF'ing exclusively for longer but I am done. I have been taking fenugreek for 3 months now and it really messes with my guts and I've had enough of worrying about my supply. She's not interested either and I cant make her.

I am intro'ing solids as I would normally. Not holding back. Not to prove a point you understand if something should come about that she does have an allergy but more a case of me feeling defeated. If 2 health professionals in as many days can tell me they dont think its the case then I have to take their word for it I suppose.

FWIW - She had 2 x btl formula yesterday and yoghurt after main meal. I was up all night last night with her. I dont know if its a coincidence or what. Apparently, according to the HV I am encouraging her to wake by dealing with her wrong when she does wake. I did laugh at that and so did my friend when I told her....clearly doesn't have a clue about me esp when it comes to sleep.  ;)

Been thinking about paying for the formula myself....

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 20:16:01 pm »
Btw - and don't feel pressured at all, my LO went through a stage of being really a pain in the bum on BF and would only BF when he was sleepy but then would BF really well.  It's worth a try if you do want to keep going.  My SIL is a medical herbalist and she suggested for supply just to either have nettle tea (disgusting) or calmomile tea (probably to chill me out).  TBH though generally people just think they have a supply issue rather than really having one just coz it's so difficult to see what they're getting.  I'd drop the fenugreek anyway but carry on the BF if you want.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 20:33:23 pm »
Oh, don't get me started on HVs!!!

Up to 12 months, solid food is experimentation and explorations.  Most calories should still be coming from milk feeds, be that formula or breastmilk.  Seems some HVs are obsessed with babies STTN and think solids are the answer.  Yes, sometimes they are, but equally sometimes they cause more problems than they solve.  Argh and grr in equal measure on your behalf, Emma!!

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say, but it escapes me for now.... *mutter mutter*
*** Amanda ***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 22:53:55 pm »
Hugs Em. Just thinking it might be a good idea to keep a food diary of what D eats and how she sleeps just to see can you notice any patterns. Prob keep a track of Nappies too. Just in case things do get worse with more solids and formula, least you have something more concrete to go to the GP with if you feel you need to push it.

((((hugs)))))

Offline Mama2C

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 01:08:59 am »
I was thinking of your post this afternoon... I encourage you to contact her supervisor. Her advise is wrong - lessen BFing at 7months???? What? And she is clearly upsetting you. This isn't okay. Thank goodness you have your strength and know you go with your own "plan" for your child. But she could be causing a ton of distress (already is evidently) and she could really demean a lot of moms.

Keep doing what you know is best for your child. For what it's worth, my son was really big and I was told to up solids at 6 months but that just made him wake up MORE! Sigh! Some babies just aren't ready to STTN or aren't ready for the same steps as others at certain ages. As long as your child is gaining weight steadily and is happy and healthy then you are on the right track! And if your child does have intolerances, then introducing MORE solids earlier is just going to cause more problems. In my opinion, there is no rush to introduce solids. Go at your child's pace and know that you are an awesome mom.
Mom of 2!! - DD: Dec 31, 2006 & DS: March 6, 2010

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 20:11:04 pm »
I was thinking today how sometimes when I introduced something new, his nappies changed.  Sometimes his poo (sorry) went really sticky for a bit then settled down.  I've been such a worry wort about allergies as well because of my job (I work in food) and he's so far shown no signs of any but I thought he might have an egg allergy (it was just his eczema playing up) or tomatoes (nope, second time there was no reaction). 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 20:20:51 pm »
Just taking it slowly really. Her eczema is playing up but who knows if its to do with food or not. The GP didn't seem to think so...

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:37 am »
One of the mums on the birth club 7-9 months got her lo allergy tested cause of eczema. Turns out she is allergic to a whole range of foods from eggs to wheat! Is is possible for you to do?she is in Europe somewhere (Italy I think) xx hugs

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 08:24:18 am »
I'd be wary of it.  I have no scientific basis for thinking this but I'd be shocked if babies didn't have some mild reactions to things to lose them later.  It would be sad if a child was labelled with multiple allergies which they never needed to be, especially as it could become self fulfilling; ie you don't give the food because the test said they were allergic and then they become allergic or the reaction gets worse because they were never exposed to it?  I might be talking rubbish of course.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 13:40:06 pm »
Emma, I do think eczema is almost always caused and/or aggrevated by something that's been eaten.  I would keep an eye on it when it flares and try to figure out what might be causing it. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 14:40:26 pm »
My LO has eczema and I don't find that tbh.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 14:57:25 pm »
{{{hugs Emma}}}

Hows she been?  My GP told me that unless R has diahorrea there is no way there is any evidence she has a dairy intolerance.  I know from all my reading that is just not true.  As with everything, GPs and HVs aren't always as upto date with things as they should be and rather than saying 'i need to do some reading into that, could you come back tomorrow?' they just go with the little info they have.

I had elimated R's cereal (cows milk in it) and yogurt for two weeks until yesterday and then gave her a fromage frais at lunch (obviously she was still getting dairy through my milk though) and an hour later she was screaming in pain and obviously in discomfort and would not settle for a nap and then she had a few big farts then did a poo and it was a horrible mucousy nappy. THe rest of the day her little patch of exzema on her face was really red.  So i am convinced she does have a dairy intolerance and am going back to the doctors this week.  Not sure what i think he's going to say but I am not taking his 'without diahorrea its not an intolerance' excuse any more. 

You know D best and if you think dairy is annoying her then do go back.  I'm almost not wanting to pursue it because the thought of giving up dairy does not appeal to me at all but if you are willing to give the HPA formula a try and give up BFIng (which I know you have been considering) you probably could trial dairy free with D for a few weeks easier than if you were having to do it yourself too. 

{{{hugs}}}}     

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 16:10:44 pm »
Eczema is a catchall term really for a lot of different things.  But the skin the biggest organ in the body, and it makes sense that what is going on on the outside is a reflection of what is happening on the inside.  I have read many times that what you eat can be linked to how your skin looks, be it eczema or acne or another kind of rash.  So it stands to reason that if there is no obvious external reason for a skin condition to be flaring up, that you need to look on what is going on internally, and that includes taking a good look at what is being eaten.  Just to give some ideas.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 19:54:13 pm »
 I feel its what getting to her. I really do. I can cut it out of her diet, I can cut it out mine but I cant cut it out of formula ( so then I feel whats the point kwim?) and the GP wont listen, neither will the HV. The GP agreed that it was bad but said that hydrocortisone will make it better. (treating the symptom NOT the cause  >:( ) She does have crazy BM's ranging from mucous poop to constipation. Although no mucous for over a week now.

The HV egged me to keep BF'ing when I was ready to stop about 2 months ago but have kept going.  >:( :-\ I understand what she is saying about the BF'ing I really do but i'm more than ready to stop. She's taking a good feed from me in the morning and thats it, the rest of the time I have a fight on my hands. I want to keep the AM feed as we both enjoy it and thats how it should be.

I have been offered a referral to a dietician as a GP cant prescribe without 'definitive diagnosis.' Hoewever the HV slipped and actually told me its to with money. Grrrrrrr. I said thats ridiculous because the amount of money it would cost for a dietician to advise what i can do myself (dairy free diet!) will cost MORE than what it would for the GP just to give me the bloody formula. PLus the dietician would have to get me the formula anyways as part of trialling dairy free. Again grrrrrrrrr....

As some of you know this HV has given my parenting a good knock. She's made me doubt myself and my instincts which is why I have not chased it up again and slapped some steroid on her skin. I then have lucid moments like now when I want to pursue it for D's sake.

She's actually been ok the past few days. Skin crap as usual and a bit constipated. Up with gas at night but this is all the norm.

Sorry about the rant there. Thread gone a wee bit off topic. :-[

Shiv honey you go for it. Let me know the outcome. PLease, please keep me posted.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 20:14:52 pm »
{{{hugs Em}}

I would ring and get that referral.  Least you can talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. Even if its just to tell you dairy is not as issue.  And you are right, unless you can eliminate all dairy there is no point. 

Just watch that cream.  My HV gave it to me for Rosa and it made her skin so so much worse. 

I'll keep you posted on things here xx

So it stands to reason that if there is no obvious external reason for a skin condition to be flaring up, that you need to look on what is going on internally, and that includes taking a good look at what is being eaten.
Funny I went for a facial a while back and the girl was talking alot about this.  Was able to show me that different areas on the body represented different internal organs and showed me the area that was related to renal organs and said it was clear I wasn't drinking nearly enough water which was totally true!