Author Topic: If we have short naps, does that make bedtime super early?  (Read 932 times)

Offline lizard4455

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Just wondering what people do...  My DD is a very inconsistent napper, sometimes we get 2 hrs and need to wake her up, but most of the time we are in the 30-45 minute range.  She is 5 months old, and 'supposed' to have 3 naps...  But her naps are so short, and then the following A times are typically shortened after the short nap...  so...  sometimes that would make bedtime at like 4:30- 5:00...  Should I be trying for 4-5 short naps throughout the day to make it to a reasonable bedtime, or do this super early bedtime?  By the end of everyday I think she is OT, and I don't know what to do... 

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: If we have short naps, does that make bedtime super early?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 19:26:01 pm »
I think I'd be going for a catnap and a more reasonable bedtime.  What are her A times right now?  Could you do a nap at say 430pm-5pm and then bedtime at 7pm/730pm?  If you start doing bedtime at 430/5pm and she starts doing 10.5/11 hour nights then you're in for a very early wake up the next morning!  I'm all for early bedtimes when they need it though so if she refuses a catnap then go for an early bedtime. 

Offline lizard4455

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 23:05:38 pm »
Thanks!  I did this today, a fourth nap of about 20 minutes.  I walked her in her stroller around the neighborhood until she fell asleep so she wouldn't think it was bedtime.  Now, she is in bed rolling around and hopefully sleeping soon at 7:00.

I have been trying to have her do longer A times in the last couple days in hopes of getting longer naps.  It hasn't really worked except for her first nap.  Her first A is 2 hours, and the next two are about 2.25 hours, the last one is up in the air because her naps have been so off.  Sometimes it's been up to 3.5 hours which I know is WAY too long, but I haven't been able to make myself put her to bed before 6:30 though.  I just can't accept a wakeup before 6am!  :) 

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 19:34:07 pm »
It's def worth doing a stroller nap for the catnap if you are in a position to do it.  How did she get on last night and today?

Offline lizard4455

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 23:37:05 pm »
Last night she slept well (with two wakeups to eat) from 7:03pm until 6am, so I was pleased with that.  Today we did four naps too, the first one long and the next three were short, the last one started around 5:00, and tonight she made it to a 7:30 bedtime, so hopefully the four naps makes it so she can happily make it to a later bedtime!  She was really happy all day today too, not tired and cranky like she has been getting later in the afternoon!  :-)